At a Glance: The Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
- OUR TOP PICK: Lockdown Goldenrod Dehumidifier Rod
- Eva-dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
- BEST BUDGET OPTION: Hornady Rechargeable Gun Safe Dehumidifier
Comparison of The Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
Our Top Pick
|Lockdown Goldenrod Dehumidifier Rod||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Eva-dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Hornady Rechargeable Gun Safe Dehumidifier||
||View Latest Price|
Do you ever wonder what you can put in a gun safe to keep moisture out? As a gun owner, you know just how essential a top-quality gun safe is. Without proper control of the temperature and moisture inside your safe, humidity can occur, and mold can grow.
What this means for your guns is that over time, they’ll rust and corrode, and your ammunition will become ineffective too. The best way to keep moisture out of your safe and protect your guns from humidity is to use a dehumidifier. A good quality dehumidifier that is correctly maintained will result in optimum moisture levels and no humidity and mold issues. In this article, we will cover the two main types of gun safe humidifiers on the market and the differences between them, along with the factors to consider to choose the very best gun safe dehumidifier for your money.
Our Guide to the Top 7 Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
We’ve scoured the market to find the best gun safe dehumidifiers out there. We tested each of these products in our gun safes to provide a thorough and trustworthy review of each one. Each review includes a breakdown of the pros and cons to help you easily compare the different options and find the one that best suits your safe.
Lockdown Goldenrod Dehumidifier Rod
The Lockdown GoldenRod electronic dehumidifier features a low profile design along with easy installation and operation for effective humidity control and rust prevention inside your safe. It works by circulating warm air throughout the safe to remove any moisture and keep condensation at bay.
The rod has attachable legs for easy placement and fitting in the smaller, less usable areas of your safe. The 6-foot cord has a quick plug attachment, which means you can run it through the back of the safe and then attach to the 110 to 120 volt AC plug. Moreover, the GoldenRod is made in the USA and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Another great aspect of this device is that it comes in four different sizes, so no matter how large or small your safe, you can find a rod that will give the coverage needed. The size options are:
- 12-inch – protects up to 100 cubic feet
- 18-inch – protects up to 200 cubic feet
- 24-inch – protects up to 300 cubic feet
- 36-inch – protects up to 500 cubic feet
The only thing I would change about the GoldenRod is adding more mounting options, as it only allows you to mount it on the floor. Despite that, it’s undoubtedly one of the most efficient options on the market, and one that is suitable for every size safe. Therefore, if you’re looking for a top-quality electric dehumidifier, this one is a brilliant choice.
- Durable and long-lasting rod
- 4 size options to choose from
- Extremely efficient operation
- Attachable legs and plug for easy installation
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The rod gets very hot
- Cannot be mounted on the roof or walls
Eva-dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier
Our next product is a wireless, renewable mini-humidifier from Eva-Dry that utilizes Silica gel beads to absorb excess moisture in safes up to 333 cubic feet. The Eva-Dry Desiccant dehumidifier is 100% safe and toxic-free, making it child and pet safe.
Its compact and lightweight design makes it a versatile choice, as you can place it in a small, unused part of the safe. You can also hang it up with the hook on the back. Furthermore, it’s leak and spill-proof, which allows you to install and leave for 20-30 days before recharging the silica gel beads.
It has an absorption capacity of up to 6oz and is super easy to recharge. The silica beads will turn from orange to green when it’s full, and then you can simply recharge them in any power strip. After 8-10 hours, the silica beads will turn back to orange to show they have fully reactivated.
I found the Eva-Dry humidifier to be mini but powerful, small but effective. It’s long-lasting and will prevent excess humidity for up to 10 years. I also love the compact, cord-free design, which lets you place it inside your safe without taking up valuable space. Although it requires maintenance every few weeks, the recharging process is such a breeze!
- Easy to recharge and no need to refill
- Works in safes up to 333 cubic feet
- Safe and toxic-free
- Leak and spill-proof
- Silent operation
- Compact, space-saving design
- Doesn’t hold much water
- Needs recharging every few weeks
Hornady Rechargeable Gun Safe Dehumidifier
The Hornady 95900 rechargeable desiccant dehumidifier eliminates any humidity in safes up to 333 cubic feet with its moisture-control crystals, protecting your firearms from mold or mildew. The compact device mounts to the wall or roof of your safe using the quick-connect bracket. This feature is fab, as it saves so much floor space.
Like the Eva-Dry model, the Hornady dehumidifier contains no harmful chemicals and is child, pet, and home safe. The moisture-control crystals will change color from blue to pink to signal when recharging is needed, and the wet/dry color indicator will help you determine this.
You recharge the device by plugging into a 110V electrical outlet, which will dry out the crystals and renew their effectiveness. When the crystal desiccant turns blue, it is ready to be used again.
When testing, I found the recharging process to be somewhat troublesome. It’s worth noting that this device does take some time to charge (up to 24 hours as stated in the instructions), which is a lot more than others of the same style. It also doesn’t appear to be leak-proof as I noticed some bead spill out. The design and concept are great, but the quality and long recharging process do let it down.
- Quick-connect bracket for easy mounting
- Does not take up much space
- Safe and toxic-free crystal beads
- Rechargeable usage with wet/dry indicator
- Works in safes up to 333 cubic feet
- It takes a long time to recharge
- Crystal beads can spill out when moved
Peet Safekeeping Dryer And Dehumidifier For Gun Safes And Cabinets
The PEET SafeKeeping electronic dryer is a subtle yet effective and energy-efficient dehumidifier. It quietly circulates warm air to remove any humidity from all gun safes or cabinets up to 300 cubic feet while using less electricity than a standard light bulb.
The 15-watt dryer uses thermal convection technology. Air is drawn in through the vents and warmed by the rod to reduce the level of moisture. There is no fan, so the heat slowly rises out of the top.
It’s easy to install with a separate plug adaptor so you can run the 3-foot cord through a small hole in your safe before connecting up and plugging into any 110-120 volt. Once installed, you simply switch on and leave it to do its job. It will last a long time and comes with a 5-year warranty.
The design of this model is pretty unique. It sits vertically rather than lying horizontally on the safe’s floor, which can save space, but it’s still not as compact as the ones that can be mounted. I found this to be one of the most effective products on the market. It quietly removes moisture to protect your guns and ammo without using excessive energy.
- Low power consumption
- Easy to install
- Emits heat to reduce moisture effectively
- Requires no maintenance
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- Not the most compact model and does take up some space in small safes
Liberty Safe Dry Rod Dehumidifier
The Liberty Safe electronic dry rod dehumidifier heats up when connected to a power supply, reaching a surface temperature of 100-120 degrees F. It slowly circulates warm, dry air throughout your gun safe, giving total prevention of humidity, mildew, and rust.
The way the rod works is pretty smart. Because it heats temperature inside the safe to several degrees above the ambient outside temperature, the heated air expands to force all moisture outside through the cracks on the safe doors. This leaves only dry air inside. Moreover, although the rod gets warm, it is not too hot to touch.
The dehumidifier can mount against the walls of the safe with the included brackets. That being said, it works most effectively when it’s mounting horizontally at the bottom of the safe. The rod is available in two sizes, 12-inch and 18-inch, to provide complete coverage to both large and small gun safes, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
The only negative I found is that it takes a while to start working. So, if you’re already experiencing humidity and mold issues, this isn’t the fastest option to eliminate it. Another small but minor thing is the cord. The plug cannot disconnect from the wire, so it will prove difficult to install if you need to thread the cord out the back of your safe through a thin hole.
Nonetheless, the Liberty Safe dehumidifier does an excellent job of maintaining a consistent temperature along with low humidity levels.
- Once heated to the maximum temperature, it effectively removes humidity
- Includes mounting brackets to mount to the wall or floor
- Requires no maintenance
- Two size options to choose from
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Takes a while to start working
- Cannot disconnect the plug from the cord, so it can be tricky to install
Hornady Electronic Gun Safe Dehumidifier Rod
The Hornady 95903 is an electronic 12-inch dehumidifier rod with 7 watts of power, giving approximately 100 cubic feet coverage. Easy to mount vertically or horizontally with snap-on mounting brackets, it provides a maintenance-free way to keep moisture levels under control.
Hornady’s 12-inch dehumidifier rod works in the same way as most other electronic styles. It heats up, increasing the temperature inside your safe until it’s higher than the ambient temperature outside, which then transfers the condensation to the outside of the safe.
A feature I found very useful is the removable 110V plug on the cord. This is a game-changer as it greatly helps you to install the cord through small holes or openings of the gun safe. I found the self-regulating rod to work well and reach the necessary temperature without overheating. Another plus is that the power consumption is very low.
At 12-inches, this is one of the best gun safe dehumidifiers for small to medium-sized safes. The rod is slim and small enough to take up minimal space but big enough to dispel any unnecessary and damaging moisture. On the other hand, if your safe is large, you will likely need to use two of these rods.
- Gives coverage to around 100 cubic feet
- Rod works efficiently and heats up well
- Removable plug for hassle-free installation
- Comes with mounting brackets
- Low power consumption
- Slim and compact – does not take up space
- May not give full coverage in larger safes
Hornady Dehumidifier Canister
The Hornady 95902 rechargeable dehumidifier canister uses desiccant crystals to absorb moisture to up to 50 cubic feet. The canister will work for 4 to 6 weeks before recharging is needed. It can be recharged an unlimited number of times, giving you a long-lasting solution to your humidity and mold concerns.
Once the desiccant crystals have filled with moisture, they will change to pink, indicating they need to reactivate. You can recharge the canister by simply placing it in any traditional oven at 300ºF until the crystals turn blue. When testing, the process took around 4 hours, which is much quicker than other similar products.
The canister does exactly what it is supposed to do and is a superb battery-free alternative to electric versions if you don’t want to or can’t have cords running inside your safe. Although there is no limit to how much you recharge it, I’m not sure how many times the material will hold up against getting heated in the oven as the design and construction do not seem the most durable.
This canister will only work up to 50 cubic feet, so it may not be the best choice for those with large safes for long guns or multiple rifles. Alternatively, you could use a few of these canisters to give full coverage, however, this will result in more floor space taken up.
- Gives an unlimited number of recharges
- Color-changing crystals indicate when recharging is needed
- Only takes a few hours to recharge
- A good option for small safes
- Coverage is low – only up to 50 cubic feet
- The material of the canister does not seem too durable
Do Gun Safe Dehumidifiers Work?
Yes. When used correctly, all of the dehumidifiers we reviewed above will eliminate and prevent any humidity problems by maintaining a stable temperature inside your safe and removing moisture from the air.
Here are the key benefits of using a dehumidifier, explained in more detail:
- Prevents rust and corrosion – If there is too much moisture in your safe, both the safe itself and your guns could become susceptible to rusting and corrosion. Placing a humidifier inside will keep both the temperature and moisture level at an optimum level to prevent this.
- Inhibiting mold growth – Be keeping moisture out of the air, it inhibits mold and mildew growth within the safe.
- Preserves your ammunition – A humid environment will reduce your ammunition’s shelf life significantly. Humidity starts to degrade ammo instantly, so using a dehumidifier will preserve the lifespan of your ammunition.
- Maintains bullet accuracy – Humidity not only lowers the shelf life of ammunition, but it decreases its performance too. Over time, bullets subjected to moisture in the air will lose their accuracy and may not even fire at all.
- An effortless way to keep moisture levels low – Electric dehumidifiers continue to work for many years without any effort from you. Desiccant versions do require some maintenance, but most will work continuously for a month or two before upkeep is required.
Types Of Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
There are two types of dehumidifiers that you will find on the market today, electric and desiccant. Let’s explore how they work and the differences between them.
- Best for large safes
- An electric dehumidifier requires power to operate.
- For this style, your safe will need either an internal electric outlet or a hole to run wires through to connect to the mains supply. If you have a mains operated gun safe light already set up, installing an electric dehumidifier will not be an issue.
- Electrical dehumidifiers are large resistors inside a tube, often referred to as a rod. These rods heat the internal temperature of the safe to several degrees above an ambient temperature, which enables the relative humidity to go down. In this way, the dehumidifier prevents drastic temperature changes that could cause condensation and dew point conditions.
Desiccant (Silica Gel)
- Great for small safes
- Desiccant dehumidifiers also called mini-dehumidifiers or canisters.
- Do not require electricity to run, so this type is a more convenient choice for those unable to run power into their safe.
- They work very differently to electric styles. Rather than using heat to create a consistent temperature inside the safe, desiccant dehumidifiers absorb any moisture like a sponge, which keeps the interior completely dry.
- The majority of desiccant dehumidifiers use silica gel made from sodium silicate, which is what captures the water.
Which type is better?
Desiccant dehumidifiers will only work for a month or two before they need to be replaced or recharged. Electric ones are harder to install but require much less maintenance, do not need to be recharged or reactivated, and will last for many years.
Desiccant dehumidifiers are the best for small safes however, for large safes, electric types tend to be favored.
Read our review on The Best Gun Safes Under $1000
How To Choose The Best Dehumidifier For Your Gun Safe
When looking for a gun safe dehumidifier, you’ll want the most effective product available. Certain aspects like the size of your safe will determine a dehumidifier’s effectiveness, so it’s worth learning what to look for. Here are the most crucial factors to consider when choosing your product.
Size & Coverage
Always check the product description of your dehumidifier to see how many cubic feet it will cover. This is because different products have different coverage abilities.
Suppose you buy a humidifier with low coverage, but you have a large safe. In that case, the effectiveness of the product will be greatly affected. That being said, buying 2 or 3 dehumidifiers to increase the coverage is always the option. Moreover, some electric rods are available in different sizes, where the longer the rod, the higher the coverage.
The more silica beads a desiccant dehumidifier contains, the more water it can hold. Because of this, larger dehumidifiers will have a higher quantity of silica gel beads, and thus, a higher capacity to absorb moisture. This means that you may need to sacrifice space inside your safe for a larger dehumidifier to better absorption capacity.
If you’re using a desiccant dehumidifier, make sure it has an indicator system that informs you of when it needs to be recharged or reactivated. All the best gun safe dehumidifiers will have a clear indicator system that lets you know when to recharge, either by a warning light or with colors in the beads. This is a vital function because, without it, the dehumidifier could stop working, and before you know it, moisture has gotten into your guns and ammo.
Ease of Maintenance
Even though desiccant models are effortless to install, they do require more maintenance than electric versions.
- The silica beads become saturated after a while, and you will need to recharge them.
- Simply put, the recharging process involves heating either the components or the whole unit to get rid of the humidity.
- Thoroughly read the instructions on your device as the process does vary, as well as the recharging time.
- Some desiccant dehumidifiers can be heated up in the oven, while others come with a plug-in system that heats the device.
Electric dehumidifiers can be difficult to install. However, once they are in place, they work autonomously.
What Is the Best Gun Safe Dehumidifier?
A great gun-safe dehumidifier will depend on the size of your safe and the power supply abilities. If you’re able to run power into your safe, I would recommend the PEET SafeKeeping gun safe dryer and dehumidifier for its efficiency, large coverage, and low power consumption. Moreover, the detachable plug makes installation trouble-free, and the device works autonomously without any maintenance required.
So what if you cannot run power into your safe or just prefer a non-electric version? Then my top pick for the best safe dehumidifier is the Eva-Dry wireless mini dehumidifier. It does require regular maintenance like all desiccant types, but it effectively protects up to 333 cubic feet, is toxic-free, spill-proof, and compact. What’s more, it can be recharged easily just by plugging it in.
Whichever product you go for, we hope this article has helped guide you in making a more informed decision, and you now know what to look for to find the very best gun safe dehumidifiers.
Leave a Reply