At a Glance: Best Gun Safes Under $1000
- OUR TOP PICK: Moutec Large Biometric Rifle Gun Safe
- RUNNER UP: V-Line 31242-SA Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe
- TOP RATED: Steel 10-Gun Steel Security Cabinet
Comparison of The Best Gun Safes Under $1000
Our Top Pick
|Moutec Large Biometric Rifle Gun Safe||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|V-Line 31242-SA Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Steel 10-Gun Steel Security Cabinet||
||View Latest Price|
Imagine working outside in your garden, or fixing something in your garage only to hear a gun go off inside your house. May God forbid that from ever happening! Children are naturally curious and generally touch and try out almost everything they come across. And… Traditional cupboards are commonly used for gun storage. However, they’re easily accessible. This means that kids can easily reach your firearm stored in a cupboard. This is where owning one of the best gun safes comes in to offer the utmost security to your entire family.
Our Guide to the Top 8 Best Gun Safes on the Market Under $1000!
Robust gun safes are equipped with unbeatable, top-quality locking systems to deter robbery attempts. With some featuring ultimate fire ratings, gun safes can withstand blazing heat in the face of natural disasters such as fires.
Built to offer safety against robbery, disasters and any other kind of unauthorized access, gun safes are also ideal for storing your valuables. Apart from being secure, the safes are also attractive for enhanced appeal indoors. Want more fingerprint-activated gun safes? We have our roundup of the Best Biometric Gun Safes here.
With brands ranging from Cannon, Winchester and Browning to Fortress, Fort Knox, and many others, we’ve reviewed top 8 gun safes in the market to help you make an informed buying decision. Check them out!
Moutec Large Biometric Rifle Gun Safe
The large Moutec Rifle Gun Safe is built with a biometric fingerprint locking system. The smart biometric technology retains up to 100 fingerprints to deter robbery and keep your firearms away from kids. The lock mechanism is reliable and features an electronic keypad for easy creation of fingerprints or passcodes. You can also lock it manually with a spare key. You can also set up an alarm to go off each time a wrong code is entered three times.
Designed for high level security, the gun safe is made of steel to give its solid structure added strength. The gun safe is also large enough to hold larger and deeper rifles. It also comes with a separate box for locking handguns.
The separate lock box can also store money, bullets and other valuables in your office or home.
What’s more, the gun safe can hold up to five 50″ rifles with or without scopes. The safe has a dimension of 14 x 13.7 x 57 inches, translating to its large size.
Built for instant home defense the gun safe runs a quick biometric scan for about 2.5 seconds, making it reliable. This gives fast access to firearms during emergencies, ensuring the safe unlocks almost instantly. It also keeps kids off your safe, preventing them from reaching your guns.
Additionally, the gun safe features pre-punched holes at the bottom and back of the cabinet for gun security. With the holes, you can easily mount your safe to a wall or floor, or both using the bolts it comes with.
You’ll also find a single gun rack inside the safe and a 5-position rifle barrel rest or gun rack at the back of the cabinet.
- Pry-proof and tamper-resistant
- Has a reliable lock mechanism
- Features a spare key and an alarm
- The safe box is solid and strong
- Retains up to 100 fingerprints
- Easy to install
- Gives quick access to firearms
- Doesn’t come with a door pistol organizer
- Reports of dents and rough edges on the inside
V-Line 31242-SA Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe
V-Line Industries is a company with a proven track record traversing 25+ years. It manufactures and sells high-quality gun safes, safes and security cabinets. The V-Line Gun Safe is crafted from 16ga. steel for sturdy storage of your rifles. Specifically, the Rifle Case is designed to store AR-15 gun rifles. You can easily install the case behind a door or inside a closet to keep it out of sight.
Moreover, you can install or mount it vertically or horizontally to take up less space as you deem fit. It comes with pre-drilled ¼” holes at the bottom for easy mounting.
Measuring 42 x 12 x 3.5 inches, the rifle case is large enough to fit most AR’s with relevant accessories. It features a primary lock that’s available as a SIMPLEX mechanical lock with five push buttons for easy and fast access to your rifles.
What’s more, you neither need keys nor batteries to operate the primary quick-access lock. This further prevents unauthorized access to your gun safe. Designed for easy alteration and setup, you can rest assured that your keys will never end up in the wrong hands.
Constructed with a powder-coated case, the rifle case comes in a textured black finish with low gloss.
- High-grade keyless lock
- Two extra keyed locks for improved security
- Large inner and outer dimensions
- Mountable upright or hanging on a wall or door.
- Opens from the front or top sections to keep it off the floor
- Easily pries open
- Reports of difficult disassemble and bad locks
Steel 10-Gun Steel Security Cabinet
Stack-On is a leading manufacturer of secure storage solutions for the home and outdoor for use on the go. With over 40 years of proven success, the company has been manufacturing top quality gun security products.
Targeting value-driven shoppers in various channels, markets and demographics, the brand offers anything from portable security cases to quick-access gun safes, and personal safes. The Stack On Sentinel Gun Cabinet is built up to 52″ tall to hold about 10 rifles or handguns. It optimizes your space while holding as many guns as possible.
The cabinet has a removable steel top shelf for extra storage. It’s also sturdy for prolonged use. The barrel rests and foam padded bottom of the cabinet cushions your rifles and handguns for protection. This ensures that your valuables and rifles don’t get scratched while in storage or during transportation.
Measuring 17 x 13-1/2 x 53 inches, the gun cabinet is large enough to hold your rifles and handguns. Moreover, it features a 3-point locking system with double-bitted and key-coded locks for added security.
- Holds up to 10 rifles or shotguns
- Built 52 inches high
- Sturdy construction and an appealing appearance
- Removable top shelf for additional storage
- Cushioned bottom and barrel rests for scratch resistance
- 3-point locking system for added security
- Incurs minor dents during shipping
- Large stickers leave a mess on the cabinet that takes time to remove
- Keys taped to the plastic bag can easily be tossed off mistakenly
- The self takes up almost half of the depth of the cabinet
Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe
With over 3.7 million annual home invasions, Barska is dedicated to manufacturing secure gun safes for home use. It offers instant home defense and total security for your firearms. Barska gun storage solutions are cost-effective yet top quality.
The Barska Biometric Rifle Safe gives access to your firearms in just 2.5 seconds to improve your home defense system. Designed for pry-proof, tamper-resistant, and in a steel construction, the safe secures your firearms from theft. It deters unauthorized access and keeps your kids away from your guns.
The 3-point locking system features 3 built-in steel deadbolts for greater security. With the rifle safe, you’re able to store your rifles, shotgun, ammo and handguns in a single compact and mountable cabinet.
The safe cabinet features 100% steel walls and tamper-resistant edges on the inside for long-lasting wall-to-wall protection. It has a silent mode of operation and relays a warning tone to warn you whenever the battery runs low.
The rifle safe is based on battery-efficient technology to enable use for up to a year (or about 10,000 biometric scans) before you can replace the batteries. It comes with a backup battery pack and keys for manual use if need be.
What’s more, the fingerprint lock system has been tested for burglar-proof use. It’s built to store up to four rifles.
- Anti-pry concealed door hinges
- Higher biometric firearm security level
- Comes with a protective floor mat
- Approved by the Department of Justice
- Gives quick firearm access in just 2.5 seconds for home defense
- Has a 46″ high accessory shelf
- Easy to mount
- 4-position rifle rests
- 4 AA batteries and a pack of emergency battery
- 2 backup keys and mounting hardware
- Stores up to 120 fingerprints
- Reports of poor build and customer service
- Doesn’t fit rifles with scopes
Quicktec Large Numeric Keypad Rifle Safe
Quicktec manufactures high quality gun safes for home use. The Shotgun Cabinet is a digital or electronic gun safe built for ease-of use.
Constructed from solid thickened steel to give it a steel body, the safe is durable. The gun cabinet is built to hold up to 5 rifles with or without scope. It gives quick gun access in emergency situations, deters unauthorized access and prevents kids from reaching your firearms in storage.
Measuring 14 x 13.8 x 57.2 inches, the safe easily holds shotguns and rifles with/without scope. It features a separate lock box for storing a minimum of four handguns, bullets, jewelry, money, passports and other valuables in your office or home.
Built for top level firearm security, the safe has a five live-door bolts, concealed pry-resistant hinges, and a pry-resistant steel door for complete security of your guns. It gives you peace of mind, knowing that your firearms are safe.
The safe also has a reliable keypad you can use to create a 3-8 digit long personal security code for quick access. You can enable or disable sound as you deem fit. And, the alarm goes off if the wrong code is entered thrice.
Built with pre-punched mounting holes at the gun cabinet’s bottom and back, you can easily mount it to a wall or floor or both using bolts. It can also be hidden behind a door, in-wall or inside a closet.
The safe cabinet comes with 4 anchor bolts for installation, 4 AA batteries, a user manual, two keys for the lock box inside, and 2 emergency keys for manual use.
- Easy to install
- Comes with a large numeric keypad
- Stores firearms for quick access
- Digital keypad stores a single unique security code
- Keypad is removable to un-conceal locks for backup keys
- Smart and secure with rugged construction
- Strong steel body for sturdiness
- Anti-pry interior hinges, bolt and interior shielding to prevent unauthorized access
- Bottom wobbles on flat surfaces
- Lacks shelving
First Watch / Homak 6-Gun Security Cabinet
Founded in 1947, Homak Manufacturing is based in Chicago. It was founded by Sigmund H. Danziger who saw a sign on a hat store that inspired him to name his company “Homak.”
Initially, the company manufactured steel kitchen cabinets until the 1960s when he included tool cabinets, toolboxes, and other accessories in his hardware product line. The products were strong and became popular among retail businesses in that era.
Gertrude, Sigmund’s wife, ran the firm for over two decades after her husband passed on in 1979. During her reign, Gertrude increased the product line further to include hospital, automotive, and sporting items.
JVA acquired the company in 2005 and moved its headquarters to western Pennsylvania from Chicago. Homak has its offices in the Wampum Underground Commerce Center. It manufactures gun cabinet security and tool storage solutions.
Other products the company manufactures include:
- Tool bags
- Hand-carry tool boxes
- Tool storage cabinets
- Parts organizers
- Garage furniture
- Fire-resistant safes
- Gun cabinets
- Steel lockers spill containment systems
- Ammo storage boxes and accessories
- Safety cabinets
- P.B & E products
The company manufactures each product to surpass the expectations of its customers, offering them dependability and strength.
Designed to offer premium cabinet security, the Security Gun Cabinet has solid-welded steel construction for increased durability. The four-point locking system comes with two keys and premium locks prevent unauthorized access to your guns and valuables.
The gun safe is powder-coated in a black finish for a classic look in your interior space. This exterior cabinet look matches with almost any interior décor. It also has a couple of accessory bins mounted onto the door and a storage shelf.
The gun safe has a dimension of 10 x 14 x 57 inches to accommodate up to 6 guns.
- 4-point locking system with two live-action locking plates
- Has a 4.4 cubic feet storage capacity
- A metal shelf for organization purposes
- Comes with 2 plastic door organizer bins
- A plastic barrel rest kit has adhesive at the back to protect your firearms from damages
- A black 3.2 mil powder-coated epoxy paint finish
- HMC tubular locking system for high security
- Has small utility keys
- Lock mechanism may require oiling
- Doesn’t hold guns with scopes
Hornady Rapid Safe Ready Vault with RFID Technology
The Hornady RAPiD Safe Ready Security Vault is designed to offer innovative and adaptable storage solution for your guns and valuables. If offers the quickest access to your firearms in storage for the most dependability.
Based on patented RFID technology, it offers unparalleled security against unauthorized access. The technology is responsible for unlocking your gun safe faster than biometrics and keypads.
The four RFID tags it features are programmed selectively to help you open the safe, including any other RAPiD safe in your office or home. The safe has metal interior peg walls for easy mounting of the gun racks it comes with based on varied configurations.
Measuring 19 x 15.1 x 52.2 inches in dimension, the safe is large enough to hold your guns and valuables for secure storage. It weighs 170 pounds and meets ASTM International and DOJ standards for firearm safety.
The safe comes packed with three circular barrel keys, wall power supply and a padded floor mat. The mat is made from Neoprene to protect your guns from stocks that result from slipping; it facilitates safe storage of long guns in an upright position.
With the convenient keypad access, you’ve got a backup mechanical key and the digital keypad for extra methods of entry into your gun safe. It features battery and AC power for 24/7 firearms protection. The adaptable storage is innovative for safe and fast access to your firearms in storage.
If you want to organize the safe or customize it to your specific needs, you can buy extra accessories. Some accessories sold separately include:
- Hormedy LED security lights
- Magnetic hooks
- Touch-free entry is fast and dependable
- Unlocks safes faster using the RFID technology
- Extra accessories offer unprecedented flexibility in storage
- Has dual-purpose gun racks
- Hardened locking lugs offer added protection of your valuables
- Makes optimal use of space between barrels
- Tamper-proof, heavy-duty steel construction
- Getting the RFID to work may be problematic
- Reports of poor customer service
What You Can Get from a Gun Safe Under $1000
Firearms in your ownership need protection from theft, fire, damage, children, and even water. A gun safe protects your firearms, prevents unauthorized access, and ensures that your kids can’t access it and cause injuries to themselves or those around them.
With the right gun safe, you get peace of mind, knowing that your gun, self and family are protected. You also don’t have to worry that someone with unauthorized access to the firearms can use them nefariously.
A table comparing 4 major features of the 8 gun safe brand products we’ve reviewed.
|Brand||Lock Mechanism||Capacity||Dimension||Weight and depth||Other Features|
||5 50-inch rifles||14 x 13.7 x 57 inches||88 pounds and 14-inch depth||
|V-Line||Mechanical lock with five buttons||3 AR-15 rifles||3.5 x 12 x 42 inches||10.91 pounds||
|Stack-On||Key-coded double-bit lock||10 rifles or handguns||13-1/2 x 17 x 53 inches||–||
||4 rifles||8.63 x 9.5 x 52.13 inches||62 pounds and 2mm thickness/ depth||
||5 rifles with or without scope||13.8 x 14 x 57.2 inches||89 pounds||
||16 long guns||16 x 22 x 59 inches||330 pounds||
||4 long guns and 2 small guns without scopes; 4.4 cubic feet||10 x 14 x 57 inches||50 pounds||
||6 long guns and 14 handguns||15.1 x 19 x 52.2 inches||170 pounds||
A gun safe under $1000 is top quality and built with multiple features. It can benefit you in several ways. They include:
Protection from theft
Built with multiple features, gun safes vary in type and have different lock mechanisms. They include:
- Electronic gun safes based on keypads and pass codes to give access
- Biometric gun safes based on fingerprint readings to authorize access
- Locker-like wheel and pin combination you can use even in the absence of power
- Key lock based on conventional lock and key to give access
- Multiple lock for failsafe use – integrates biometric or electronic with a key or combination for continued use even if one lock fails.
Specific storage location or application area
Gun safes under $1000 can also offer you the location storage you need. The safes are built for easy camouflage or hiding. The right safe can make you feel safe when asleep at night or give easy access during emergencies.
They also protect your guns from theft. Some available options include:
- Car gun safes
- Hidden gun safes
- Under-bed gun safes
- Nightstand gun safes
- In-wall gun safes
Gun safes under $1000 also offer you:
- Large size and capacity to store your firearms; choose safes that can hold your number of guns, including their sizes in terms of length.
- Dehumidifiers keep moisture from the inside of your safe for water protection.
- Lights illuminate the safes in poor lighting conditions.
- Fireproof or fire-rated gun safes offer protection from fires.
- Theft protection, protection from fire and water, legal necessity
Lock mechanism for theft protection
Gun safes are built with lock mechanisms to prevent unauthorized access and offer theft protection. There are different types of gun safes based on their lock mechanism. Although all gun safe types are advantageous, only specific ones may accommodate your firearm types.
Biometric gun safes
Biometric safes vary in size, atop being the most secure type of safe in the market. The gun safe reads your fingerprints, making you the only authorized user with access to it. Some safes can accept multiple fingerprints to give other authorized users access to your firearms.
Electronic gun safes
Built with keypads, electronic gun safes are the most common. Keypads accept pass codes to gives you access to the safe. The keypad allows you to set a code you can easily remember to gain access to your firearms.
Some safes of this kind feature multiple locks to override the biometric or electronic keypad if it fails. If you’re the only user to an electronic safe, opt for a simple one. Otherwise, you’ll need a sophisticated safe.
Wheel and pin combination safes
If you live in an area with power issues and worry about an electronic or biometric safe becoming obsolete, opt for a wheel and pin combination safe.
The locker-like safe allows you to turn a number clockwise and the next number anti-clockwise, and clockwise for the third number, in that order, to gain access into your safe.
Some safes are based on basic conventional lock and key to give access to your firearms. Although key lock safes are reliable, losing your key makes access to your firearms almost impossible.
What’s more, you can access your safe when there’s no power or batteries die. However, key lock safes are the least secure.
Multiple lock safes
Electronic and biometric gun safes usually come with multiple locks for continued access to your safe even if one lock fails. They usually feature an additional key or combination lock for failsafe use.
The additional lock offers added protection from theft in case the main locking mechanism fails. Store your key in a drawer or somewhere safe for easy access in emergencies.
Location offers theft protection
The location a gun safe is intended for use also offers protection from theft. They varied options include:
- Hidden gun safes in the form of furniture such as cabinets, end tables, mirrors, picture frames, etc. hide your firearms from plain sight.
- Car gun safes for transporting your firearm when traveling in your car. They usually have cabling and can be hidden under your car seat.
- Under-bed gun safes can easily slide under your bed, including on-wheels and drawer-like designs.
- Nightstand gun safe gives easy access in the night in case of an emergency.
- In-wall gun safes are conventional and can be installed on the floor or inside your wall. It can also hide under a picture frame or under a carpet. You can also use the safe to store your external hard drives, flash drives, important documents, pictures, money, or even jewelry.
Protection from fire and water
Some safes are built with dehumidifiers to prevent moisture from building up inside. Condensation buildup can easily damage your valuables and firearms because they’re often metal objects.
Fireproof gun safes are fire-rated to withstand extreme temperatures for a minimum of one hour if your office or house catches fire. This keeps your important documents in the safe protected from fires up to 2750 degree Fahrenheit.
Fire resistant metal and waterproof sealers also offer protection from fires and water, respectively.
What Makes a Gun Safe Great?
Whether you own a rifle or pistol, a gun safe offers the ideal storage and protection for your valuables. Unlike gun racks or displaying your weapons on walls, gun safes offer protection from theft and prevent unauthorized access. What’s more, it prevents children from reaching your firearms and causing serious injuries. This explains the need to invest in a good gun safe to store your firearms and other valuables such as jewelry.
The following list will help you choose high-quality gun safes that can last you a lifetime, if not several years:
- Steel thickness or gauge, quality and durability: Choose 12 to 18 gauge steel safes because they’re resistant to robbery and most equipment intruders users to gain forceful entry. High steel quality safes withstand prying and common hand tools to offer you value for your money. The steel is also resistant to water and heat. Solid steel construction gives safes high-temperature resistance qualities for extra protection of your firearms. Choose a gun safe with at least 12 inches depth if your rifles have scopes or you’re looking in-home location use.
- Security features: Find out the type of equipment intruders often use to break into safes to help you make an informed choice. Ensure hinges are located inside the safe to keep them away from intruders because it’s the first place they usually target. Other security features include a waterproof sealer and fire resistant metal. You’ll find these features handy if your home or office is situated in an area prone to fires or water disasters. However, the more security features a safe offers, the more expensive it’s likely to cost.
- Locking mechanism: Biometric locks are the most secure and of top quality, but the most costly. Unlike mechanical safes, biometric safes are more reliable. They’re most ideal for string firearms and extremely sensitive information because intruders will take more time to pry into your gun safe. You also gain from quick access in emergencies. Expensive gun safes have strong lock mechanisms, but allows for quick access in as little as 2.5 seconds. Choose among mechanical, biometric and electronic lock mechanisms in your ideal gun safe.
- Size and capacity: Choose a portable safe you can easily carry and access for long-term storage of your firearms. Choose a size that fits your guns. For instance, pistols and handguns fit great in smaller safes while bigger guns fit in bigger, longer safes. Long gun safes are more expensive to buy, including long-term maintenance. If you’re a hunter, you’ll need bigger and more expensive safes than if you only own a small firearm that easily fits a small safe. We did a full review on Long Gun Safes for you here. Also make sure that the gun safe can store the number of guns you own. For instance, some gun safes have a capacity of 4 or 7 rifle guns.
- Weight and portability: Portable gun safes are cost-effective, making them perfect for travels. Bigger safes are heavier than their smaller counterparts. However, some brands manufacture smaller, but heavier gun safes for fire or prying resistance. But, if you’re looking for a portable gun or own a smaller pistol or handgun, opt for lightweight gun safes.
- Mounting system or features: Mounting features vary based on the type of gun safe you pick. Large gun safes often feature deadbolts and pre-drilled holes for easy mounting. On the other hand, smaller gun safes come with strong wires for mounting purposes. Deadbolts offer added security for your safes. You also need to make sure that the gun safe you choose offers all the features the manufacturers claim. Make sure you buy from a reputable brand to get value for your money.
For additional features, check out The Arms Guide’s full review on the Best Lights for your Gun Safe here.
Certification systems for gun safes
The Department of Justice (DOJ) certification for Firearm Safety Devices (FSD) was established to protect children from firearm injuries, keeping guns out of their reach. Tested and certified gun safes have UL RSC Listing or CDOJ certification.
The DOJ certification is a construction standard that allows gun safes that don’t meet UL RSC Listing requirements to be sold in various states, including California.
Gun safes with the DOJ certification must meet the following requirements:
- Have the capacity to hold firearms and offer secure storage
- Have at least one locking mechanism
- Has three steel locking bolts in the boltwork
- Allows for repeated use
- Have protected door hinges to prevent door removal.
The UL RSC certification standard proves that gun safes are safe from attacks and fires.
Can I get someone to deliver and install the safe?
Yes. Depending on your location and where you’re making your gun safe orders, it can be delivered and installed at your office or home.
Gun safe manufacturers and large retailers usually have specialized technicians with proper knowledge and training in using, installing and fixing gun safes.
Depending on the manufacturer or retailer, product warranty and the type of gun safe ordered, you may be eligible for free delivery and installation of your safe.
Otherwise, you may have to find a reputable gun safe technician nearby to help with the installation process at a fee.
Do I need a dehumidifier?
You may need a gun safe built with a dehumidifier depending on your location. If you live in an area that experiences high humidity throughout the year or certain times in the year, you’ll need a dehumidifier.
It protects the items stored in your gun safe, such as firearms and other valuables, from getting damaged due to the presence of moisture.
Guns and valuables such as jewelry are usually made from metals, meaning they’re susceptible to rust and related damages in the presence of moisture.
Alternatively, you can buy a dehumidifier separately to keep your office or home moisture-free.
What if a burglar smashes the digital keypad?
Most modern gun safes feature alarms and multiple lock mechanisms to keep your guns and valuables safe. You can set the alarm to go off in case a burglar smashes the digital keypad.
Multiple lock mechanisms ensure that you can still access your gun safe before getting the keypad repaired or replaced.
Best Gun Safes Under $1000
Gun safes are both functional and attractive. In this article, we reviewed 8 different gun safes from different manufacturers to help you make an informed buying decision. Our winner of the roundup is the Moutec Large Biometric Rifle Gun Safe.
The gun safe has multiple lock mechanisms, including biometric, electronic, keypad, and lock and key mechanisms for theft, fire, water and child-proof protection. It has a capacity of 5 guns measuring 50 inches long.
The gun safe measures 88 pounds and has a 14-inch depth to accommodate rifles with scopes.
Just like other gun safes in our list, it has a high-gauge solid steel construction for durability. It also has a lock box to store your valuables, and comes with pre-drilled holes for easy mounting or assembly.