At a Glance: Best Gun Safe Lights
Comparison of Best Gun Safe Lights
Our Top Pick
|Litever LED under counter lighting fixtures||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Wobane under cabinet lighting kit||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Torchstar LED safe lighting kit||View Latest Price|
If you’ve recently purchased a safe for your treasured guns, you will probably look for ways to get the most from it. One cheap but handy upgrade to make is mounting lights inside. Installing lights in a gun safe will make it easier to manage, plus they give speedy and fumble-proof access in an emergency.
There are several reasons why you might want to light the inside of your safe. Some gun safe doors don’t open completely. This blocks out a lot of the light and makes it challenging to identify where your valuables are. Even if the safe door does open all the way, there may not be enough light in the room to correctly see the contents inside.
In this article, I’ll explain further how to find the best gun safe lights and the factors to consider.
Our top pick of the 8 best gun safe lights on the market
We’ve scoured the internet to find the best gun safe lights currently on the market. We’ve then picked the top 8 products to test and review in detail. This means you don’t need to spend hours scanning multiple review sites, feeling overwhelmed from the process. For each product, we’ve also included a handy list of pros and cons for quick comparison.
Litever LED under counter lighting fixtures
The Litever LED under counter lighting fixtures are designed to give a soft but super bright, dimmable white light. Although designed as an under counter lighting system, it works perfectly as a gun safe light too.
These compact, low profile LED lights are easy to install no matter where you choose to use them. They are particularly great to use in large safes with multiple shelves. The diffused light cover means the fixtures deliver very soft, even, and bright white light. There’s no light glaring or LED dots.
The brightness level is dimmable 0~100% with the included rotary LED dimmer. The LED bulbs are on an aluminum PCB with thermal paste. This ensures the heat of the LEDs disperses well and, thus, improves the LED light bars’ longevity.
The lighting system comes with a DC power supply featuring a US plug. This power adaptor gives around 30,000 hours of usage at its full load. The corded, electric lighting system gives an impressive 2000 lumens of light and features a rotary switch for turning the lights on and off.
- Gives soft, even and bright lighting
- Perfect for lighting up large safes with multiple shelves
- 2000 lumens of light
- Easy to install
- 30,000 hours lifetime when fully charged
- Switch operation with no motion sensor
Wobane under cabinet lighting kit
The Wobane under cabinet lighting kit gives sufficient brightness and is a fantastic energy-saving option. The super bright LED lights deliver a total of 1100 lumens (each bar gives 270 lumens) with a lower power consumption of 12W.
The low power consumption generates not only low voltage but also low heat. Using an 80+ high CRI (Color Rendering Index), these lights can reproduce colors accurately and pleasantly.
The adhesive mounting style means installing the lights is super easy. It’s possible to install the light bars by yourself in just a few minutes. The installation method is easy, just clean, stick on, and then connect the bars. The light bars are backed with strong 3M tape that can be removed easily without any residue.
The kit includes ultra-thin, flexible “U” style connectors and extension connectors for convenient and effective shelf lighting. The switch on the cord turns the lights on and off, and they are powered by an AC to DC 12V adapter. Overall, the Wobane lighting kit is of high quality and brilliant value for money.
- Gives 1100 lumens of light
- Generates low voltage and low heat
- Includes “U” style connectors for lighting shelves
- 80+ high CRI for pleasant, even lighting
- Easy adhesive mounting method
- Very affordable price
- No motion sensor feature
Torchstar LED safe lighting kit
The Torchstar LED safe lighting kit offers a quick and effective way to upgrade your gun safe. The system can be easily installed with common household tools and takes just a couple of minutes.
This electrically powered light kit is a suitable choice for permanent installation as the AC power supplies more long-lasting and constant lighting than many battery-operated safes. Each of the high output LED bars supplies 150 lumens of light, giving an ultra-bright lighting effect.
This system features adhesive mounting and is designed with an angular shape and high adhesive 3M tapes backing on both sides. This gives a perfect fit for different surfaces, especially the narrow corners of gun safes. The kit includes extra extension cables. Additional light bars can also be added to fit larger gun safes.
I love this kit because you can choose whether you want the system to have a manual switch, be controlled by an app, or from a motion sensor. This flexibility will suit the preferences of all gun owners.
The low consumption light kit has a lifespan of 30,000 hours and comes with a 3-year satisfaction guarantee warranty. Although it’s not the cheapest light system on the list, it will serve you well for years to come and, therefore, is one of the best gun safe lights you could choose.
- Quick and easy adhesive mounting
- Easy to install in narrow corners
- Low consumption with a 30,000-hour lifespan
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- You can choose between a manual switch, app control or motion sensor
- Slightly more expensive than others
Under cabinet lighting LED closet light
The under-cabinet LED closet light is a rechargeable, energy-saving system with motion and light sensors. The lights are powered by a 1000mAh large volume Lithium Battery that can be recharged and reused many times. This cord-free design is a great option for gun owners with no power access to their safe.
The under cabinet lighting has three working modes. In motion and light sensor mode, the sensor will automatically detect any human movement in a range of 10ft. The sensor light will turn on automatically, and then shut off after 30 seconds of no movement. This mode will only work in dark enough conditions and not in daytime light, cleverly saving energy.
This lighting system uniquely offers two mounting options – magnetic or adhesive. The built-in magnet back design will easily attach firmly to all iron surfaces. Alternatively, you can use the included tape to attach the iron to any surface.
Each strip gives 120 Lumens of light, which is not the brightness product we reviewed. The kit also contains just two strips; therefore, this option is best suited for those with smaller safes with just one or two shelves.
- Powered by a rechargeable battery for wireless operation
- Energy-saving motion sensor with auto shut off
- Two mounting options
- Not the brightest lights
- Only two strips in the kit so not suitable for large safes
Priorare motion sensor closet light
The Priorare motion sensor closet light is a super bright, automatic sensing LED lighting system that is operated by a rechargeable battery. The LED strips are made of premium-quality ABS and aluminum material, making it a durable and strong choice for gun safes.
Because the light bulbs are hidden on the inside, the lamp beads are invisible. This means there will be no light directly irritating your eyes, nor a glare. Instead, this results in a uniform and natural soft light that evenly lights up your safe contents.
The automatic motion sensing works within 10 feet. The light will also automatically turn off after 10-20 seconds of no motion detected. Moreover, it will only turn on when it’s dark and when motion is detected, conserving energy well.
The built-in 2500mAh rechargeable lithium battery charges quickly with the included USB cable, giving a full charge in 1-2 hours. When fully charged, the light will last up to 5 hours if in constant use, or 1-2 months if using the motion sensor mode.
The system can be installed in 2 different ways. Either by using the built-in magnet or the 3M adhesive magnetic strip is easy to install and remove. This model from Priorare may not give you the strongest or brightest light, but it’s still one of the best gun safe lights for small safes and those who need to access their gun in the dark, such as for home defense purposes.
- Uses motion-sensing technology – no need to fumble for a switch
- Conserves energy with the auto shut off feature
- A good cord-free option
- Rechargeable battery with a quick charging time
- Two installation methods
- Not the brightest light so not well suited to large safes
NSL9 LTSPRO LED task light
The NSL9 LTSPRO task light is a versatile and customizable option that gives three color temperature options (2700K, 3000K, 4000K) and two brightness levels (high or low). It also features two easy installation options (hardwired or plugged-In) and a low profile design to conceal the fixture.
Constructed with an aluminum housing and a matte white polycarbonate diffuser, these lights are built to last. The lifespan is around 50,000 hours, and the product comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty for extra assurance. It is powered with a 3W AC adapter and is linkable up to 400 watts.
The versatility continues with four color choices (black, white, bronze, and satin nickel) and six size options from 9-inch to 40-inch. The only thing I didn’t like about the NSL9 LTSPRO is that the switch is on the back of the light, which is not satisfactory if you need to access your safe quickly.
It is pricey compared to its competitors, but with its vast array of features and flexibility, the price may be justifiable. If you’re looking for a lighting system that gives you control, this one is for you.
- The most versatile choice on the market
- Ability to control brightness level and color temperature
- A choice of sizes to choose from depending on your safe size
- Long lifespan
- Very durable
- The switch is on the back – difficult to reach in an emergency
- Not the best option for large safes with multiple shelves
AIBOO LED under counter light rigid bar kit
The AIBOO LED light bar set features 6 LED strips to give bright and ample lighting to even the largest and deepest gun safes. The brightness can be dimmed from 0% to 100% with the dial dimmer switch.
The LED light kit is run by 2V DC power in which a plug is provided. The ultra-slim aluminum alloy light bars are super safe as they produce very little heat. Moreover, they use energy-saving 3W LED bulbs.
There are two different size linking cables including for installing the lights flexibly. There is a short 5.9-inch cable and a longer 20-inch cable. The on/off switch is located on the cable for easy access.
The AIBOO light set is very versatile and can be used all around your home and in your safe. For the price, you get six panels, which are more than enough to sufficiently light your safe and access its contents in the dark.
- An ideal option for lighting large safes
- Uses energy-saving bulbs
- Dimmable brightness
- Ultra-slim, low profile design
- Comes with two different length cables
- No motion-sensing technology
CSHID LED closet light set
The CSHID LED closet light set features 4 LED panels with selectable brightness of low, medium, or bright. This unique system has two sensor modes, meaning the motion sensor technology can work both in the dark and daytime.
The motion sensor turns on when it detects motion within 10ft and automatically turns off after 20 seconds of no motion detected. The LED panels operate with a rechargeable battery meaning there is no worry of threading wires through your safe and linking up to a power supply. Charging time is 2-3 hours, and a full charge will give 5-7 hours on the always-on mode with 150LM Brightness.
You can mount the light either by using the built-in magnet or the magnetic strips. Being so easy to mount and remove makes them a good choice if you decide to change their location after the initial installation.
The CSHID lighting set is versatile, convenient, and will work with all size gun safes. If you’re looking for a wireless, motion-sensing lighting system for accessing your guns, this kit is one of the best gun safe lights you will find.
- Motion sensing operation with auto shut off
- Three levels of brightness to choose from
- Set contains four panels for using in safes with multiple shelves
- Uses a rechargeable battery
- Simple to fit and remove
- Awesome value for money
- You have to remember to charge the batteries!
Finding the best gun safe lighting system
A gun safe light is made up of several components, including bulbs, mounting accessories, a power source, sensors, and other items. Each of these parts plays an important role in lighting up your gun storage safe. Furthermore, the components will vary between gun safe lights. You should research which features to consider when looking for the best gun safe lights.
LED vs. CFL
Both LED and CFL are viable options for gun safe lights. However, they both have pros and cons.
- CFL lights are generally used to light up rooms. They give a bright source of light and consume a low level of power compared to incandescent lights.
- CFL bulbs are bigger than LEDs, which means they will occupy more space inside the safe and need to be carefully protected.
- If your safe has a lot of racks and shelves, you’ll need one CFL bulb for each shelf, which will result in a lot of storage space being taken up.
- LED strips are a very economical and compact alternative.
- They consume even less power than CFLs
- They are small enough to be installed in every part of the gun safe without taking up much space.
- LED lights have a very long life span, 8-10 times longer than CFL bulbs.
- The only drawback is that if one LED bulb malfunctions, the entire strip will have to be changed.
Power source: battery or mains? AC or DC?
You will find some gun safe lights are operated by mains (either AC or DC power), whereas others run on batteries. So which is best?
- For AC power, you need to use electricity from the home’s power supply. This means your gun safe must have an internal power outlet.
- AC power is a good choice if you’re going to be opening your gun safe very often (at least once a day). Batteries can dry out fast when used continuously.
- If you’re planning to buy a safe light that is mains operated, check if your safe has an electrical socket inside first, as many do not.
- If not, see if there’s a way to run a wire through the back of the safe. If installing a mains operated light will require a lot of time and labor, it may be best to choose a battery alternative.
- The great benefit of a battery-operated safe light is that it’s portable and doesn’t require the safe to have a power outlet. This makes battery-run lights a much more convenient choice for many.
- Battery operated lights are also a suitable choice for fireproof or waterproof gun safes.
- However, the big downside to batteries is that they can run out at any time, especially if they are not maintained.
- If you decide on battery-operated lighting, ensure you change the batteries regularly to prevent them from dying. It’s also a good idea to store some extra batteries inside the safe as backups.
Motion sensor vs. switch
Many gun safe lights these days feature an integrated motion sensor. However, there are still some that work with a switch. Finding a light switch in the dark is not only difficult, but it can also be very frustrating, especially if you need to access your gun quickly!
Motion sensors are a simple but game-changing feature that I would recommend looking for. By installing a lighting system with a motion sensor, the light will automatically turn on once you open the safe. This assures you that you’ll be able to see and grab your gun in the quickest time possible when needed.
Gun safe lights can be mounted inside the safe in various ways. The three most popular mounting options you will come across are:
- Velcro-based adhesive
- While magnets are a popular and good choice for mounting switches, battery packs, or motion sensors on the sides of a safe, they are prone to snagging and shifting when you move things in or out the safe.
- Screws give a sturdier hold, ensuring the lights stay in place under all conditions.
- Screws do have a downfall, though. Not only is it more difficult to install lights with screws, but they can also ruin the construction of your safe if the lights malfunctions. This is because it will be difficult to remove the old lights and install a new set.
- Adhesives offer a simpler and more effective alternative to both magnets and screws. They can be installed easily by placing the lights into position, peeling off the adhesive, and sticking them in place.
- These days, most good adhesives are strong enough to hold the lights in place and remove them without any hassle.
Choosing the right brightness
A light’s brightness is measured in lumens. To give you a general idea, an average room measuring 250 square feet requires 5000 lumens of light to give proper illumination.
How many lumens do I need for my safe?
Medium to large gun safes need anywhere between 1000-2500 lumens of light, depending on the size. Smaller gun safes could require less than this. A 25W LED bulb provides around 1500 lumens of light.
How many lights do you need?
It depends on the size of your gun safe and the number of shelves it has.
- A gun safe light must be bright enough to let you identify all of the items it contains.
- If you have a smaller gun safe with only a single compartment, then one light that gives around 200 lumens should be sufficient.
- However, if you have a larger safe, multiple lights will be needed.
- If your safe has many shelves, the best option is to use LED light strips. This is because they are flexible, economical, and consume less power. You’ll need to use LED light strips of different sizes and brightness to light all areas adequately.
What are the best places to mount lights in my safe?
If your safe has a single horizontal shelf, a single bright light placed on the hinge exactly midway of the shelf should work.
If your safe has multiple shelves, the best place to install lights for maximum brightness is usually around the corners or at the shelves’ border. Since shelves tend to obstruct light, you’ll have to determine the best positions for mounting the lights to ensure each corner of the safe is properly illuminated.
Do I really need a lighting system for my safe?
I would recommend using a lighting system in your gun safe if there is any chance you’ll need to access your guns at night, such as if you use them for home defense purposes.
In these situations, a safe light is essential. You won’t want to switch on room lights that may draw the intruder’s attention to where you are. Moreover, fumbling for a torch or flashlight will not give you convenient or quick access to your firearm either, but will only waste vital seconds.
Of course, not all gun users will use their guns for home defense, and therefore for many, a light will not be needed. For example, if your safe is situated in an already well lit room, a gun safe light might be an unnecessary purchase.
Would it be weird to use these lighting systems in other places in my home?
Gun safe lights are very smart and flexible systems that allow you to stretch them over an extended space to light hard to reach places. As you will see, many of the options on this list are not specific safe lights, but under cabinet lighting systems. The design of this system fits perfectly with gun safes. Likewise, the design of safe lights will work well for other areas of the house too.
Is the cord better, or should I get a cordless option?
There is definitely a benefit to having a gun safe light with a cord. A lighting system with a cord means there is always power available to you, and you do not have the worry of batteries running out.
That being said, if your safe does not already have power outage as many do not, it means that you’ll need to drill a hole through the safe to slide the cord through. This is not an easy job to do, and requires time and effort. Not only that, but if you have a waterproof or fireproof safe, you will ruin that protection by creating a hole for water or heat to get through.
Is a motion sensor really necessary?
A motion sensor for your safe light is not a necessity, as it’s not difficult to turn on a switch. However, for some purposes, a motion sensor can be not just convenient but also extremely helpful.
- Firstly, if you need to access your safe in the dark, knowing the light will turn on as soon as you open the door will allow you to grab your gun instantly. A motion sensor could be the difference between success and failure in an emergency situation.
- Another reason to opt for a motion sensor is if you’re someone who tends to forget to turn lights off! A motion sensor will automatically shut off your lights after an extended period of inactivity, saving you energy.
Summary – Which gun safe light is the best?
There is never one product that will best suit everyone, as gun users have different needs and requirements. However, the gun safe light that I found to be the best fit for myself and many others is the CSHID LED closet light set.
I found this lighting system to have the best features. In particular, I like how it has selectable brightness, two motion sensor options, and battery operation, giving an easy cordless installation. The four bright panels give enough light to light any size gun safe too.
Whichever one you go for, I hope this article has shown you the benefits of this simple gun safe-upgrade, and the features to choose when looking for the best gun safe lights out there.