At a Glance: Best ar15 eotech
Comparison of Best ar15 eotech
Our Top Pick
|EXPS3 holographic weapon sight||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|XPS2 holographic weapon sight||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|EXPS2-0 holographic weapon sight||View Latest Price|
If you’ve had your eye on an EOTech sight for your rifle but you’re not sure where to start then this guide is for you!
Right now, there are many EOTech models on the market with some confusing names so it’s only natural to feel a bit overwhelmed when shopping for your next holographic sight.
To help clear up the confusion, this guide will give you an understanding of what an EOTech sight can give you, in comparison to the standard sights. Plus, I’ll explain how to navigate the many different options out there.
Our guide to the 5 best AR15 EOTech sights on the market
I’ve taken the 5 best AR15 EOTech holographic sights and tested and reviewed each one. I intend for these reviews to help you determine which model is most suited to your rifle’s needs.
EXPS3 holographic weapon sight
The EXPS3 holographic weapon sight boasts fast target acquisition and a 7mm raised base for iron sight access. This model has been designed to take up very little space on the rail. It’s also easy to install thanks to its adjustable, locking, quick-detach lever and side buttons.
It features night vision shooting capability and an astonishing 30 levels of brightness – 20 for day time and 10 for night time. The brightest level during sunlight is 146,000:1 and the brightest level during the night is 1,280:1.
The EXPS3 is powered by a single 123 Lithium battery giving up to 600 hours of continuous use on the standard brightness, level 12. This compact model is a top choice for both hunters and professional shooters who are looking for the best AR15 EOTech sight. The only downside is the high price tag, ranking it as one of the most expensive models on the list.
- Night vision capability
- 30 brightness levels
- Quick-detach ability and side buttons
- Fast target acquisition
- Compact size
- An expensive model
XPS2 holographic weapon sight
The XPS2 is the shortest and lightest sight I reviewed. This full-sized holographic sight gives plenty of remaining rail space after mounting, leaving more room for rear iron sights and magnifiers.
The buttons are on the rear ofthis sight, which helps to simplify wide view field adjustments. Furthermore, the two recessed screws make shooting easier when it comes to engaging moving targets.
This model features a waterproof capability up to 10 feet. Like the EXPS3, it operates with one 123 Lithium battery, giving the same battery life of up to 600 hours of continuous use.
Overall this is a high quality, compact sight with awesome co-witness ability and unlimited eye relief which will make a great addition to your rifle.
- 20 brightness settings for all lighting scenarios
- Waterproof and sun-proof
- Very lightweight
- Compact design takes up minimal rail space
- Unlimited eye-relief
- No quick detach function
EXPS2-0 holographic weapon sight
The EXPS2-0 allows you to maximize rail space without sacrificing battery life. This model requires just 2 ¾ inches of rail space, gives great co-witnessing of iron sights, and unlimited eye relief.
It features an adjustable, quick-detach lever making it easy to take on and off while maintaining zero. What’s more, the side button design means it can easily accept a magnifier plus it comes with a fast standard reticle too.
I like how this sight is resistant to shock, water, and fog. It even has the capability of being submerged in up to 10 feet of water without risk of damage. Like the XPS2, there are 20 levels of brightness to choose from and 600 hours of usage time.
If minimal rail space and excellent eye relief are your priorities then the EXPS2 could be the best AR15 EOTech sight for you.
- Waterproof up to 10 feet
- Requires minimal rail space
- Quick detach lever attachment
- Unlimited eye relief
- 20 brightness settings
- Brilliant at holding zero
- No night vision
Holographic HHS I EXPS3-4 & G33 magnifier combo
This ultimate system includes the EXPS3-4 sight, AR223 ballistic reticle, 3x magnifier, and a flip-to-side mount with quick detach and night vision compatibility.
The EXPS3-4 ballistic reticle matches M4 carbines and the 1 MOA aiming dots are vertically aligned & calibrated for .223 ballistic drop. The field of view at 100 yards is 30 yards at a 4-inch eye relief. I found this model to be very easy to sight in and it remains accurate after hundreds of rounds, too.
As you might expect, there are 30 brightness settings including 10 for night vision use. The quick detach function has integrated side buttons and you’ll find the shortened base will take up 2-3/4″ of rail space.
This complete kit is a dream for all serious AR-15 shooters. It’s not a very affordable option, so it may not be the best one for beginners. But if you have experience and you’re not afraid to splash the cash, this is the best AR15 EOTech system to massively upgrade your shooting experience.
- A complete holographic sight and magnifier combo set
- 30 brightness settings
- Quick detach
- 3x magnifier
- Large field of view
- Brilliant accuracy
- Very high price tag!
512 holographic weapon sight
The 512 classic long sight is the ideal choice for anyone who wants fast target acquisition, reliability, and durability without needing night vision capability.
This is the only sight on the list to operate with 2x 1.5V AA batteries. If you go with lithium batteries you will benefit from a longer battery life of up to 1000 hours. Like many other models, the 512 gives 20 brightness settings and the field of view at 100 yards is 30 yards across at a 4″ eye relief.
Its 5.6-inch long 1 dot speed ring reticle also comes equipped with a weather-proof coating offering water-resistance up to three meters. For a long model, it’s a lightweight choice at 11.2-ounces.
The 512 is one of the lower-priced EOTech sights. If night vision is not a requirement for you, this would be the best AR15 EOTech in terms of value for money.
- Long battery life
- Fast target acquisition
- Anti-reflective coating
- A durable sight offering good value for money
- No night vision
- Takes up a fair amount of rail space
What is the difference between an AR-15 EOTech holographic sight and a red-dot sight?
- A red dot has an LED emitter that sends the beam towards the front glass. Because this glass is coated the beam/dot is reflected into your eyes.
- A holographic sight uses a laser and mirrors the hologram back to you without using the front glass.
- A red dot sight is usually smaller than a holographic sight, as the technology is much simpler.
- Red dot sights also have a longer battery life than holographic ones. Red dots use power-saving LED while holographic sights require lasers to power their holograms. Most holographic sights have a battery life of 500-1000 hours whereas some red dot sights can last a lot longer.
- Holographic sights are faster and have a clearer, more precise reticle than red dots. The reticle appears to be on the same plane as the target, making aiming easier on the eye and more instinctive.
- Both red dots and holographic sights can have night vision capabilities and magnifiers in front of them.
- In terms of price, red dot sights are significantly cheaper than holographic versions.
In summary, while there are some additional perks of holographic sights, you will pay a much higher price. For beginners, red dot sights are a good option but for ardent shooters who are looking to upgrade their shooting experience, a holographic sight is a worthwhile upgrade.
Why choose an EOTech for your AR-15?
EOTech sights are technologically advanced sights that improve your shooting in all lighting and weather conditions. All EOTech holographic sights offer these benefits compared to the standard sights.
- They have 20 or more levels of brightness
- They can withstand extremely high and low temperatures
- They can be fully submerged in bodies of water
- You’ll get 600 or more hours of battery life
In addition to these benefits, EOTech sights also provide better target acquisition and a more precise reticle. Let’s explore these benefits further.
Clear, precise reticle
EOTech sights are famous for their reticles. EOTech offers various types of reticle pattern as opposed to only a single dot. Some designs incorporate multiple trajectory points of aim and range assist features. This variety of reticle patterns suits the full range of possible firearm applications.
With a large 68 MOA (minute of angle) circle and a precise 1 MOA center dot, you can transition quickly from close-quarters targets to targets that are farther away.
The 68-MOA circle covers (approximately):
- 68 inches at 100 yards
- 34 inches at 50 yards
- 17 inches at 25 yards
- 5 inches at 12 yards
Easy long-range target acquisition
EOTech’s unique reticle patterns deliver fast target acquisition and MOA accuracy at any range. With their open field of view and highly visible reticle, EOTech sights are fast in CQB situations and at long range. As the view remains the same while zooming in on the target, EOTech sights give the best acuity on long-range shots without obscuring the view. At longer range, you can shift focus from the 68-MOA circle to the 1-MOA dot for more precise shot placement.
How to choose the right EOTech for your AR15
Long or short models
You will find there are two different types of EOTech sights – the ‘classic’ longer model and the newer, shorter model.
- All the classic long models have a designated model number. This is a three-digit number that starts with a 5 (eg Model 512).
- The short models have a model number that starts with either XPS or EXPS. It’s then followed by a dash and another number (eg. XPS2-0).
- As you would guess, long models are longer in length. Long models measure at 5.6 inches while short models are 3.8 inches. This is an important consideration if you plan on adding a magnifier.
- Long models are much more affordable than the short styles, typically around $75 cheaper on average.
- The long models are quite heavy compared to the short models though, which are usually pretty lightweight.
The classic long EOTech models operate with 2 AA batteries whereas the short models require 1 CR123 battery. Long models can potentially give you longer battery life. If you use lithium batteries you can get around 1000 hours. Alternatively, using regular alkaline batteries will give you around 600 hundred hours. The short models will give you about 600 hours of battery life too.
Standard mounting or quick detach
There are two different mounting options that the EOTech sights offer. These are the standard mounting with a screw or a QD (quick-detach) mount.
- The standard mount system weighs less than a QD mount but requires more time to put on and take off.
- QD mounts allow you to detach and reattach in an instant.
- Standard mounts are usually significantly cheaper than quick detach versions.
- The design of the QD mount versions means the buttons are on the side of the sight. This gives an easier manipulation if you have a magnifier behind your optic.
Absolute co-witness or lower 1/3 co-witness
Standard mounts sit lower and give an absolute co-witness compared to quick detach mounts which have a lower 1/3 co-witness.
The co-witness you have doesn’t matter much if you have folding backup irons. However, if you’re running fixed irons you may want to opt for the lower 1/3 co-witness to prevent the front post getting in your way all the time.
What is the best AR15 EOTech Holographic sight?
As you can see, EOTech offers a range of top quality holographic sights all with the promise of reliability, durability, and performance. That being said, if I had to choose one EOTech sight it would be the EXPS3 holographic weapon sight.
This one stands out as the best all-rounder, offering quick-detach, night vision, fast target acquisition, 30 brightness settings, and a compact design to save rail space. In my opinion, this model offers everything you need and to the highest quality possible. This makes it the best AR15 EOTech currently on the market.
I hope this guide has given you valuable knowledge of EOTech holographic sights and a clear understanding of how to find the best model for your shooting needs.