At a Glance: Best AR-15 Scope Mounts
- OUR TOP PICK: Warhuntusa Cantilever 30mm dual ring scope mount
- RUNNER UP: Aero Precision ultralight 30MM scope mount
- BEST BUDGET OPTION: Modkin 4 set high profile scope mounts & medium profile scope rings
Comparison of Best AR-15 Scope Mounts
Our Top Pick
|Warhuntusa Cantilever 30mm dual ring scope mount||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Aero Precision ultralight 30MM scope mount||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Modkin 4 set high profile scope mounts & medium profile scope rings||
||View Latest Price|
One of the biggest AR15 customization trends of the last few years has been the widespread addition of optics. Many AR-15 users are adding optics to their rifles to increase their long-range effectiveness and accuracy. These scopes are usually pretty pricey and can easily get damaged. It is vital to have a high-quality scope mount which is why we reviewed the Best Scope Mounts.
These mounts, designed just for the AR-15, securely and precisely attach your optic to your rifle. Moreover, if you wish to remove and reinstall your optic, you’ll need a mount that will help it retain its flawless consistency.
Top 8 Best Scope Mounts For AR-15 Reviewed
To help you understand the different types of scope mounts available and determine which is the best AR15 scope mount for your rifle, I’ve tested and reviewed the top 8 products on the market today. Moreover, you’ll find a wealth of information in this article to help you recognize what makes a high-quality scope mount and the key factors to consider before making your purchase.
Warhuntusa Cantilever 30mm dual ring scope mount
The Warhuntusa dual ring scope mount is designed to stay securely fixed to your rifle at all times, this is no ‘QD’ option. The mount is built especially for 30mm tube scopes and can be mounted on any standard Picatinny rail.
The mount base comes with custom Picatinny locking bolts that slot seamlessly into your rail. These locking bolts eliminate any potential wiggle and maintain a perfect zero against even the toughest recoil. The forward extension offset design pushes the rings forward 2 inches to give extra flexibility for both optimum eye relief and shooting position.
The mount is precision-machined from 6061-T6 aluminum using hardened steel Torx mounting hardware. This prevents any bolt stripping and drastically improves rigidity. The mount weighs 6.75 ounces and measures 5.89 inches in total length, with 2.52 inches of spacing between the rings.
The quality and sturdiness of this Warhuntusa mount surprised me. The machining and finish both look stunning. I installed it onto my rail without any issues and when testing, it proved to be a sturdy accessory without being overly heavy. All 8 of the screws were still tight after 50 shots.
Although it’s perhaps not the best AR15 scope mount for long-range competition shooting, it is more than sufficient for everyday shooting and hunting. Moreover, for the price, this mount offers great value for money.
- Easily mounts to any Picatinny rail
- Hardened steel Torx mounting hardware
- 2-inch offset for better eye relief
- A high-quality sturdy mount
- Good value for money
- The fixed design may not be suitable for shooters who require a detachable mount
- Although it’s great for casual shooters and hunters, it doesn’t best serve competition shooters
Aero Precision Ultralight 30MM Scope Mount
Aero Precision’s 30mm single-point scope mount is designed to fit upper receivers with Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rails. The ultralight mount features a cross-slot keyway that offers excellent recoil protection as well as a rear ring that is pushed forward 2 inches to give better eye relief.
As well as being pleasantly lightweight at 3.27oz, the design is also very smart. The screws are set up to ensure the best performance of the scope. The mount is constructed with 6061 T6 extruded aluminum construction and finished with an anodized hard-coat.
Made in the USA, this AR15 scope mount is manufactured by a reputable, trusted industry professional. Aero Precision’s products have been recognized across America by military and law enforcement personnel, assuring you of high quality and durability.
The things that impressed me the most were the eye relief and the ability to hold zero. Although some shooters reported difficulty with leveling due to its single-point clamping design, I had no problems whatsoever leveling the scope. It still held zero after shooting 200 rounds and even after I remounted it to test its return-to-zero.
This scope mount does everything you need with perfection, and it looks cool too. Overall, this is a durable, lightweight, and high-quality scope mount at a great price!
- Very lightweight
- The design is smart and aesthetically pleasing
- Cross-slot keyway for recoil protection
- 2-inch forward extension for improved eye relief
- Made in the USA by a reputable manufacturer
- Holds zero perfectly
- May experience some issues with mounting and leveling
- Fixed style, not QD
Modkin 4 set high profile scope mounts & medium profile scope rings
The Modkin 4 piece set includes 2 medium profile scope rings and 2 high profile scope mounts. It fits all 21mm standard Picatinny/ Weaver rails and is perfect for mounting 1-inch’/ 25.4mm scope tubes.
The see-through style design gives visibility for open sights and the hollowed-out configuration relieves any heavy-duty strain when clamping your scope. Meanwhile, the built-in tape protection prevents sliding and gives a more accurate holding position.
I found this scope to be super sturdy. It comes with 1 rail clamp screw and 2 scope clamp screws per side, ensuring a stable mount for any 1” scope. It is constructed with aircraft-grade 6061 Aluminum alloy and high strength steel and then it is given a black matte anodizing finish. This durable construction promises a safe and wobble-free performance in the field.
The fact that this set comes with two different height rings is hugely useful and convenient for shooters. Overall. I found the rings to be solid, fit well, and hold the scope nicely even after 200 rounds of firing. Furthermore, they clamped to the rail without any issue and all the hardware you need is included.
Considering you get 2 sizes for a relevantly low price, this is a high-quality and affordable option, and easily one of the Best AR-15 Scope Mounts on the market.
- Unique 4 piece set including two different height rings
- Sturdy and durable
- Gives a safe, wobble-free performance
- Built-in tape inside the rings prevents marring and sliding and increases accuracy
- Great value for money
- Not as lightweight as other scopes on the list
- Does not offer quick/easy detach
Burris Optics P.E.P.R riflescope mount
The Burris Optics P.E.P.R. is a solid, long-lasting cantilever mount that gives proper eye position. It easily mounts to any AR-style rifle providing the necessary clearance and adding a 2 inch forward set scope positioning.
The scope mount is available in both 30mm and 1-inch size options to fit different size scopes. Moreover, it’s available as a standard attach or quick detach mount to suit all shooters’ needs.
I tested the quick detach model and found it super easy to detach and attach the mount. I was also pleased that once attached, it remains securely in place with no room for wiggle. Plus, its solid base helps to deal with recoil exceptionally well too.
I like how there are two slot rails on the top giving the ability to mount additional accessories. The scope mount is very streamlined and allows a full field of view. The design features smooth contours and radiused edges to prevent any snagging. It also uses a cross-bolt system rather than a levered design.
Overall, this is the ideal mount for shooters wanting a generous eye relief and those looking to mount a longer scope on their rifle. It offers useful adjustable features and doesn’t sacrifice durability for cost, making it great value for money.
- Two size options – 30mm and 1-inch size
- 2 inch forward set design giving generous eye relief
- Streamlined design to prevent snagging
- Ability to mount extra accessories
- Quick detach option to easily attach and detach
- Good adjustability
- It’s quite heavy compared to others
Monstrum Slim Profile Series Offset Cantilever Scope Mount
The Monstrum slim profile series is a dual ring scope mount with a 2-inch offset. Its slim profile design and lightweight scope ring construction give the added rigidity and convenience of a one-piece mount.
Monstrum’s scope mount is perfect for mounting standard 1-inch tube rifle scopes and can easily be installed on any flat top Picatinny rail. The 2 inched forward extension of this mount allows extra flexibility to give the optimum eye relief and shooting position.
Each scope ring also features four square-integral recoil stops. This shaves down the weight while increasing the strength. The four heat-treated Torx screws allow you to torque down your scope mount to your exact specifications without any stripping of the screws.
It’s crafted from 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum and weighs a mere 5 ounces. It measures 5 inches in total length, with the base measuring 3 inches and the spacing between the rings at 2.5 inches.
I found the Monstrum scope mount to be the strongest yet lightest mount out of them all. I shot 100 rounds with it and nothing’s backed out or loosened up. For the low price of this mount, it’s a worthy contender for the best AR scope mount.
- A slim and lightweight design
- A strong and sturdy option thanks to the four square-integral recoil stops and Torx screws
- 2-inch forward extension for better eye relief
- Low price
- Does not come with any spec information
- No quick-detach function
Larue Tactical QD Cantilever Scope Mount
The quick detach scope mount from Larue Tactical will give you a robust platform for mounting your optics, while increasing repeatability, and eliminating the need for time-consuming lapping.
The rings are precision-machined with the tightest tolerances and feature threaded steel inserts, which are built to withstand a lifetime of wear and tear, promising a durable product that will last.
The cantilever positions the scope out front over the handguard so you don’t need to span from the receiver to the handguard. This helps you to obtain proper scope eye relief. This quick detach mount lets you remove and replace your optic without losing zero thanks to the locking LaRue speed levers that promise a return to zero every time.
I found the mount easy to install and adjust and it comes with spare mounting screws, a QD adjustment wrench, and instructions. There is a 4inch mounting surface and the centerline height is 30mm. It weighs 6.9 ounces so is not the most lightweight but not particularly heavy either. It’s worth noting that the LT 104 will not work with any folding rear sight that is over .5″ tall when folded.
This mount is built to last and the construction is excellent. If you’re looking for a mount that you can use between multiple rifles this works great. Once adjusted, the QD locks are very hard to open so there’s no concern of accidentally snagging your gear and ripping the mount off if it hooks.
- Rates high in durability
- Quick detach
- QD levers are solid and tight
- Cantilever position for proper eye relief
- Maintains zero consistently
- An expensive option
- Not compatible with any iron sight that is over .5″ tall when folded
GoldCam 4 Piece 1-inch Scope Ring Set
GoldCam’s 4 piece rifle scope ring set gives you 4 different height 1-inch scope rings – 2 medium profile and 2 high profile. The medium profile rings measure at 0.50 inches from the base of the mount to the bottom of the ring, while the high profile rings are 0.71 inches.
The ring diameter is 1 inch and each ring weighs 2 ounces. These two ring types fit most 1-inch/ 25.4mm scope tubes. The mount possesses a sturdy and lightweight construction made from a combination of aircraft-grade 6061 aluminum alloy and high strength steel creating a durable, safe, and wobble-free mount.
The Goldcam mount features a rail clamp screw design making it remarkably easy to securely mount any 1-inch scope onto a 21mm Picatinny/ Weaver rail. All you need to do is twist off the rail clamp screw nut and mount the base on the rail using the included Allen wrench.
What’s more, the mounts hollowed-out design and built-in tape protection prevents marring and sliding and gives a more accurate hold.
I found these Goldcam scope rings to be very well made. I especially liked the quick release they give, the tight lock they provide, and the simple and straightforward installation process. They fit well on both my scope and rail and they tightened down nicely. Furthermore, this is not an expensive mount, so is a superb option for those on a budget.
- 4 piece set with 4 different height scope rings
- Can be easily attached and detached
- Gives a durable, safe and wobble-free mount
- Perfectly fits all 1-inch scopes
- Good value for money
Division G4 M556 series, 30mm SPR cantilever scope mount
This heavy-duty 30mm SPR scope mount from Division boasts an exceptionally rigid, tough all-aluminum construction and features a super-tough non-reflective hard coat anodized finish
This cantilever-style scope ring extends the rings forward by 2 inches to give better scope eye relief. When testing, I found this G4 scope mount held the scope in place, kept zero, and did not loosen at all.
The mount comes with a Torx wrench that works with all the mounts screws and offers easy installation on most flat top Picatinny rails. Like many others on this list, the scope is designed to fit 30mm scope tubes. I found the included instructions to be clear, concise, and easy to follow.
This is a solid, rugged mount for a good price. It’s strong, well built, and will stand the test of time, thus it could be the best AR15 scope ring for many AR15 shooters.
- Has a tough, rigid construction for durability
- Cantilever style for optimum eye relief
- Includes a Torx wrench that works with all the mounts screws
- Easy to mount and install
- No quick-detach ability
- Does not fit all Picatinny rails such as an EABCO rail
Why You Need a Quality AR-15 Scope Mount
By investing in a high-quality scope ring for your AR15 you will see a noticeable improvement in your scope operation and therefore, in your shooting in general.
You probably spent a fair amount of money on your scope and it would be a shame if your gadget was unable to reach its potential because of a low-quality mount that’s unable to support it properly.
Here are the key benefits of upgrading to a high-quality rifle scope mount.
A mount that wobbles, wiggles around, and does not hold the scope securely can be detrimental to your shooting experience. The more stability your mount gives, the quicker and more accurate shots you’ll be able to get with your AR-15.
Stability should be a key consideration when deciding which scope mount to purchase. Reading reviews like the ones in this guide can help to assure you that your new high-quality mount will not allow room for any wiggle or wobble at all.
Keeps your scope perfectly zeroed
Although most good scopes will hold zero for a while, it’s only natural that you’ll lose that perfect zero after hundreds of rounds. This is due to the amount of shock that can come from recoil. A significant amount of recoil shock can throw off your zero resulting in some unexpectedly sub-standard shots.
Using a top of the range scope mount will secure and stabilize your scope in a skillful way. Most of these products are made to be shockproof and hold your scope firmly despite recoil. Reducing the shock from recoil will keep your zero setting intact for longer. This promises you supreme accuracy with every use.
Scope mounts are one of the easiest AR15 accessories to install. You do not need any specific skills or experience, and the installation will typically only take a few minutes.
AR15 customization can sometimes be complicated and tricky but with this particular accessory, it’s not the case. This is why I recommend all AR-15 shooters who use a scope to upgrade their scope mount to the best model they can afford.
That being said, some scope rings are easier to install than others. Again, checking user reviews can give you a trustworthy indication of this. Another thing to check before purchasing is that the scope mount you’re after is compatible with the scope you use. The options are usually one inch or 30mm.
Types of AR-15 Scope Rings
There are two types of scope mounting systems for AR15s.
- fixed mounts
- detachable mounts.
A fixed mount is securely attached to the rifle and cannot be detached easily or frequently. Typically, a fixed scope mount is lightweight, solid, and thick to keep the connecting point stable.
Meanwhile, a detachable mount has a base that is easy to disassemble if needed. Let’s discuss the two types further including the pros and cons of each style.
Single-piece or two-piece
Fixed mounts can be broken down further into two styles. Fixed mounts will either be constructed with just one piece or with two pieces each connected to the rail.
- A single-piece scope mount has the most appropriate alignment to assist in installing your scope.
- This is a popular style as it gives you great simplicity and solidity in targeting.
- A drawback to single-piece scope rings is that they are usually much bigger and heavier than two-piece versions because of the extra mass they are made from.
- This can be problematic and it makes the rifle heavy which is likely to reduce its portability and ease of use.
- A two-piece scope mount is much more lightweight.
- Opting for a two-piece style will make it easier for you to carry and use your rifle.
- The separate rings of two-piece mounts are not automatically aligned like one-piece mounts, so if opting for a two-piece mount, be sure that it fits your rifle.
- Both of these fixed style mounts are a strong and durable choice.
There are many reasons you may need to remove your scope, This could be for cleaning or maintenance, or to swap in a thermal or night vision. If you know that you’ll sometimes need to detach your scope you’ll want to ensure your scope mount does not give you any difficulty in doing so.
Quick-detach scope mounts are designed to give increased flexibility.
- This allows you to more easily attach and detach an optic from your weapon without any tools.
- QD mounts can make it easier to transport your rifle as you can quickly take your scope off to carry it separately or store it away when not needed.
- Additionally, a quick-detach ring will help you retain your zero.
- The ability to quickly detach your scope is also useful if you own and use multiple rifles, as you’ll be able to use the same optics on all your guns. Sighting in will be a pain, though.
- QD mounts aren’t perfect. Because they have more parts, they are less reliable and strong compared to fixed mounts which have more sturdy contact points on the rail.
Best AR-15 Scope Ring Height and Eye Relief
Once you’ve decided on the type of mount you’re going for, the next thing you’ll need to consider is if your mount will give the correct height and eye relief for you.
- The scope ring height can have a major impact on point-blank range and therefore, the accuracy of your shooting.
- The point-blank range will be shorter as the height increases therefore it’s best to set your scope at a lower height.
- The rule of thumb is to mount it as low as possible, without any portion of the scope touching the barrel or any portion of the rifle.
- Generally speaking, the closer the centerline of the scope is to the centerline of the bore, the more accuracy you will have.
- The lower the scope is mounted, and the closer it is to the axis of the bore of the rifle, the more likely it is to provide the consistent sight picture required for accurate long-range shooting.
- Scope height can also affect your rifle’s longevity. The higher the optic is, the more force and torque will affect it during recoil. On higher-powered rifles, this can wear out the scope over time, or even break it.
Some of the best scope rings on the market feature adjustable length. There are a few reasons why being able to adjust the length will benefit you. Mainly it involves fitting the mount to your rifle and the eye relief that you need.
It’s important to know your approximate sight height before you order your mount. I suggest discussing what scopes you intend to use with your scope mount manufacturer ahead of purchasing.
Another factor you should take into consideration when looking for an AR scope mount is the distance between your eye and the scope.
- As well as having more accuracy, having a low scope height will also usually be more comfortable and give better eye relief.
- Most rifles will have a low comb or cheek rest. When you mount a scope, you should be able to get a good cheek rest on the rifle to comfortably look through your optic.
- If the scope is mounted too high you’ll struggle to properly see through the scope when using a cheek rest.
- This will require you to lift your head off the cheek rest as you attempt to use the scope. Not only is this not very comfortable, but it can also degrade accuracy.
An ideal eye to rifle distance depends on your needs and what your scope offers. Each ring will give you a little leeway. Check your scope specs before choosing a mount. There are many scope mounts on the market that are set in a forward position usually at 2 inches. This helps you gain good eye relief so that you can position your head correctly for targeting.
How to tighten your scope mount rings
Tightening your scope mount rings is very easy and you don’t need to know a great deal of specialist knowledge to do it. You can use hex keys or you can use an Allen key or a screwdriver depending on the mount.
If you’re using an Allen key, make sure it’s a suitable size for your mount. Some rings will come with an Allen key that fits those particular screws.
- First, you need to find the suggested torque figure for your scope mount. You can find this on the packaging of the product or the website of the manufacturer.
- Tighten the screws with your screwdriver. Feel the balance of the scope square as well as the eye relief.
- Be careful with the scope body tube because this can be quite thin. Thus, to avoid crushing do not tighten the fastener too much. Find the right balance so that it’s not too loose either.
- Ensure proper tightening. I find it useful to use a bit of loctite on the screws.
- If using loctite, give it at least half an hour to dry out.
What is the Best AR-15 Scope Mount?
All the scope mounts I reviewed offer the stability, perfect zeroing, eye relief, and easy installation that you will need. Moreover, they’re all well constructed, high-quality products from reputable manufacturers.
When making your final decision you should consider how important a quick-detach ring is for you as not all the mounts on this list have this functionality.
For me, I found the GoldCam 4 piece 1-inch scope ring set to be the best scope mounts money can buy.
I hope this guide has helped you to understand the importance of finding a high-quality scope mount and what factors you need to consider to find the best mount for your optic.