At a Glance: Best AR15 Pistol Case
Comparison of Best AR15 Pistol Case
Our Top Pick
|NcSTAR VISM 2907 AR & AK Pistol Subgun Gun Case||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Savior Equipment Tactical Discreet Ultimate Guitar Case||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|VISM by NcSTAR Full Size Rifle Pistol Case||View Latest Price|
Having a badass AR15 pistol has many benefits, especially for home defense. Most of us do, however, want to take our guns out of the house from time to time, and that’s where AR-15 pistol cases come in. A good gun case is also important for helping to protect your AR15 so you will be able to use it for many years.
We reviewed the 8 best AR15 pistol cases
We looked mainly at the material pistol cases are made from, overall quality, and durability. Then we checked the padding, which determines how well your AR15 will be protected, inner features to help your gun and accessories to stay put, magazine pouches, zippers, handles, shoulder straps, and much more.
NcStar is a company from Southern California founded in 1997. Its mission is to manufacture quality optics and sporting accessories at affordable prices. This company also provides superb customer service and a great warranty. NcStar started a new brand called VISM in 2010 under which this super affordable gun case has been manufactured
This is a padded rifle sized gun case with exterior dimensions of 28 inches by 13 inches. The padding is not as thick as expected, but it will do. Although it is advertised as 28 inches long, it is actually more like 27 inches so you can’t fit a pistol with a 10.5-inch barrel in there. It is more suitable for an 8.5-inch barrel. If you want to fit a bigger-barreled pistol you need to take off the pistol brace or place it on an angle. There are no inside ties to keep the gun in place.
Your magazine will fit in one of the four external rifle magazine pouches. Each pouch has a flap with a hook and loop fastener. The pouches are perfect for any type of magazine. The gun case is closed with a zipper that feels a little bit light. There is a space for a small padlock at the end of the zipper. However, the padlock is not included. The gun case is finished with padded carry handle straps and a shoulder sling. It is made with tough and durable PVC material that is water and chemical resistant.
- Great price
- Padded case
- Four magazine pouches
- Space for a padlock on the zipper
- Padded carry handles and a shoulder sling
- It is actually 27 inches long, not 28″ as advertised
- The zipper feels flimsy
Savior Equipment is a US company with a cool story. Chris, the founder, started the company because he could not find any good quality, affordable gun cases for his rifles on the market. The mission of the company is to make gun cases from the best materials for a good price and to offer good customer service and a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty as well.
This guitar-shaped gun case provides the ultimate travel option for any shooter who wants to avoid any unwanted attention in public. Well, the case looks like a guitar case which might bring you “rockstar” attention but you might not mind that. It features a sturdy high-impact polymer shell filled with 3 customizable foam inserts. You need to cut the foam yourself based on your rifle and accessories but it is very easy to do even with a bread knife. There are no ties inside to keep the gun in place because the cut foam will do the job.
The external measurements are 46″ x 18″ x 6″ while the internal size is 45.25″ x 17″ x 5″. You can easily fit most of your shooting and hunting accessories in there together with your rifle. Taking a trip with this case is super easy since it has wheels and a handle for effortless transportation. You can also lock the case with a padlock and it has multiple latches to keep it closed. It is a great gun case for a price that’s lower than that of many mediocre guitar cases.
- Cool guitar case design
- Sturdy and discreet
- With wheels and handle
- Latches and padlock for keeping your gun safe
- 3 pieces of foam inside to keep your gun protected
- Good price
- It is bulky
As with its smaller brother the 2907 mentioned above, this full-size case is made by NcStar from Southern California and comes with great customer service and a full warranty.
This gun case is made from a tough and durable PVC material that is water and chemical resistant. The case is padded for extra protection of your rifle. The gun case is padded really nicely while still having a lot of space for a rifle with a scope mounted on it. Also, the carry handle straps are padded and a shoulder sling is included to make carrying your rifle easy.
The exterior dimensions are 28 inches by 13 inches. That provides enough space to fit a 10.5-inch barreled AR15 pistol. Many shooters use this gun case for 26-inch long rifles, the so-called “shorter long guns” that don’t fit quite as well in the larger full-size gun cases. There are four external rifle magazine pouches with individual magazine flaps with hook-and-loop fasteners. The zippers feel quite sturdy and they can be also locked with a small padlock. However, Padlocks are not included in the package.
- Good size for “shorter long guns”
- Fits 10.5-inch-barreled AR15 pistols
- Padded for rifle protection
- Four external magazine pouches
- Affordable price
- Lightweight, around 1.7 lbs
- AR-15 with too many accessories might not fit in
US PeaceKeeper is a US-based company founded in 1976. It started as a designer and manufacturer of products specifically for members of the law enforcement community. Over the years, its name became associated with innovative designs in shooting accessories, competitive prices, and a lifetime warranty for its products.
This short-barreled rifle case is made out of strong, water-resistant 600 denier polyester. It is very lightweight as well, only 1.9 lbs. The case is nicely padded. It stops the gun from moving around and protects it well. The external length is 26 inches so the case can accommodate most sub-machine guns and short-barreled AR-style rifles of 25 inches or less.
There are four padded front pockets with hook and loop closure where you can fit your magazines and other accessories. The zipper looks sturdy but it is good to lubricate it so that it lasts longer. It has hand straps and a shoulder sling for carrying. The stitching is a bit minimal. One downside is that the case does not open flat. That can be a bit impractical when you bring your gun to the shooting range.
- Water-resistant material
- Sturdy and durable
- Lightweight, only 1.9 lbs
- Nice padding for gun protection
- Four padded front pockets
- Fits rifles under 25 inches
- It does not open flat
Uncle Mike’s has been around since 1947. They make innovative outdoor products for sport shooting and outdoor life. This case is made from water-resistant durable nylon and it is padded with foam for gun protection. The padding is quite substantial for this price point and your weapon won’t shift in the case much while transporting.
The exterior size is 24 inches by 13 inches. You can fit any gun that is around 23.5 inches long. There are six pockets with three Velcro flaps on the side of the case to store magazines. However, the last pocket above the angled part is too small to fit anything substantial. The other pockets are straight, narrow, and long. They seem to be made with a straight magazine in mind rather than the curved ones. Also, some skinny magazines can fall through into the deep pocket, and then they will be hard to get out. On top of that, shooters who like to carry their magazines “rounds up” will probably hate this case as they would have to stretch or tear the pockets to get the base plate in first. The case has a webbing handle and an adjustable shoulder strap.
- Water-resistant and durable material
- Generously padded with foam
- Fits 23.5-inch long guns
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- The magazine pouches are too narrow, too straight, and too deep
American Mountain Supply was founded in 1980. AMS manufactures gun cases, holsters, and other accessories in the USA from materials mainly also produced domestically. This company believes that the American workforce has the craftsmanship, innovation, and commitment to quality to make outstanding products. Great customer service comes with it.
This gun case is made from waterproof, durable, nylon fabric on the inside and outside. It is rectangular and it is padded. It comes in multiple lengths, 20 inches, 24 inches, 28 inches, and 32 inches. There is a non-padded internal divider that separates the space for your gun from multiple loops for spare magazines. It would be nice if the divider was padded and spun to the sides of the case too. It would prevent the mags from banging the rifle.
The velcro straps that hold the gun in the case are not very well thought through. They are attached to a plastic mount that allows the straps to be used vertically or horizontally. Unfortunately, the straps slip out of the mount easily. The zipper looks heavy duty but I would recommend lubing it so that it lasts longer. There is no shoulder strap, only two hand handles. That makes it a bit harder to carry around.
- Waterproof durable material
- Nicely padded on the sides
- Multiple lengths of case available
- Loops for spare magazines
- Two handles for carrying
- Great price
- No shoulder strap
- The middle divider is not padded
- Velcros straps slip out easily
Bulldog is an American company based in Virginia. They specialize in designing innovative carrying and storage solutions for all types of weapons. From leather purses to nylon rifle cases, they make sure that their products are high quality, built to last, and still affordable.
This discreet carry case is one of the smallest AR-15 cases available on the market. It is made from durable nylon with a water-resistant outer shell. The exterior size is 29 inches by 9 inches by 2 inches, so you can easily fit a gun up to 27 inches long. The case is padded with 2.5 inches of foam covered with a heat resistant tricot inner lining. There is a padded divider to protect your gun and optics. Two pouches for extra magazines are connected to the divider on one side only. That keeps the gun separated from the mags and prevents scratches.
Wrap-around carry handles and heavy-duty custom zippers are part of this package as well. A couple of downsides about this case include its lack of tie-downs for your rifle in the case. When you carry the case with hand straps, the entire rifle slips to the bottom of the case and makes it much bulkier than it needs to be. You can solve this problem by buying a roll of velcro strapping and securing the gun by yourself because the top and bottom of the inside are covered in soft velcro. A shoulder strap would have been nice too.
- Discreet and durable
- Water-resistant outer shell
- Fits rifles up to 27 inches long
- Padded with 2.5 inches of foam
- Divider is padded
- Two magazine pouches
- Very affordable
- No shoulder strap
- No straps to keep the gun positioned in the case
The Hazard 4 is an innovative company out of California. Its parent company, Civilian Lab, has a number of years of experience manufacturing high-quality outdoor gear. Hazard 4 works with its customers to design and manufacture the best products for them.
This is a super discreet gun case as it looks like a guitar case. It is padded and organized for carbines up to the length of an AK47. When not used as a gun carrier you can easily use it to carry your electric guitar. This case is made of strong nylon for durability. The external size is around 41.3 inches by 18.1 inches by 3.9 inches. The internal length is around 40 inches. The main compartment has zippers that can be locked with a padlock. You can carry this case as a backpack thanks to the double straps. A shoulder strap is also included.
There is a padded divider inside which allows you to carry two rifles at the same time. The divider is not attached to the case which makes it into a perfect shooting mat when needed. There are a couple of downsides to this case. It allows you to carry two rifles but there is only one set of tie-downs, accommodating only one rifle. It would be nice to have straps for two. Also, the frame could have been supported a little bit more. When you fill it up, it kind of collapses and stops looking like a guitar case.
- Can fit two rifles
- Ties for keeping the rifle in place
- Accomodates 40-inch long guns
- Double straps for backpack style carry
- A lot of pockets for magazines and accessories
- Loses its shape when filled up
- Does not have ties for the second rifle
Why you need an AR15 pistol case
Getting into guns, especially AR-15 pistols, is not the cheapest hobby. If you build one yourself, you will not only put your money into it but also a lot of time. So it is understandable that you want to keep it functional and like-new as long as possible.
Having the best AR-15 pistol case will help you accomplish that. It will protect it from any kind of dust or debris getting in and from any bumps and scrapes on the road. It will also make it easier to transport your AR-15 from your home to the shooting range or hunting grounds. An AR15 pistol case not only protects your AR-15 it also keeps it safe and secure from any unwanted hands as well as concealing it from any curious or judgmental eyes. If like most shooters you want a gun for sports shooting, hunting, or home defense and are not interested in lengthy discussions with the anti-firearm groups, a good case can help. Especially if it’s shaped like a guitar.
How to choose an AR15 pistol case
As applies to any firearm accessories, you should get an AR 15 pistol case of the highest quality you can afford. Here are the steps to follows when choosing the best pistol case for you:
- Decide if you need a hard case or a softshell for your AR15 pistol.
- The case you choose should be made from a strong, durable, high-quality material so that the case does not get ripped or damaged easily. Most hardshell cases are made out of polymer or even aluminum. Both are tough and hard-to-damage materials. Softshells are usually made from nylon or neoprene. Both durable and unlikely to suffer too much wear and tear.
- The shape of your future AR15 pistol case is also important. You should check how well your rifle sits in the case. Some pistol cases have ties inside to keep the gun in place. Other cases have the shape of a guitar which, thanks to the narrow part on the top, prevents your AR15 pistol from moving around too much.
- The quality of an AR15 pistol case’s padding determines how much your AR15 pistol will be protected. You want a good thickness of foam. If an AR15 pistol case has a divider, it is better if it is also padded.
- Carrying straps and shoulder slings would be the next point to look at. If you live in a house with your truck parked right in front of it and can drive directly to the shooting range or your favorite hunting spot, then the type of carrying straps a case has is less important. On the other hand, if you have a substantial distance to carry your AR15 heavily laden pistol case, you will want carrying straps and handles that don’t cut too deep into your hands or shoulders. Wide, padded straps and handles are always better. Some AR15 pistol guns can also be carried as a backpack.
- If you carry your AR15 pistol a lot, you should also look for a case that is lightweight or which has wheels and a handle for rolling.
Hard case vs softshell AR15 pistol cases
There are two main types of AR15 pistol cases currently on the market. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages. Generally, AR15 pistol cases come in these two varieties with the following features:
|Hard case||Softshell case|
|Made from aluminum or polymer||Made from nylon or neoprene|
|Durable, dustproof, crushproof, waterproof and nearly indestructible||Soft on the outside with thick padding on the inside to absorb shock, sometimes|
|waterproof but not always|
|Ultimate protection but very heavy||Easy portability since they are lightweight|
|Easy to fly with||Suitable for truck or car|
Tips on Storing and Maintaining Your AR-15 Pistol
Storing Your AR-15 Pistol
When it comes to storing your AR15 pistol, having a safe is your best bet as they provided the most secure method for storing firearms. However, not everybody can afford a safe, financially or space-wise. On the other hand, securing firearms is the legal responsibility of the gun owner to prevent unwanted incidents.
Fortunately, there are other solutions. You can keep your gun in a case to protect it from moisture, dust, and other environmental effects. A hard case would be better for such use, as you can position it horizontally as well as vertically without damaging your AR15 pistol. If you do not have a safe, make sure to use a locking case or at least trigger lock to prevent unauthorized use of your gun.
Maintaining Your AR-15 Pistol
To keep your gun working perfectly you should clean and lube it often. There are special oils and cleaners which will help you with this endeavor.
Other Accessories You Need to Care for Your AR-15 Pistol
Most AR15 pistol owners prefer shooting over cleaning their firearm. That fact has spurred firearm accessory manufacturers to create cleaners and tools that make the maintenance of your AR15 faster and easier.
- AR cleaning station hook. To use it:
- Bolt and Bolt Carrier Cleaning Tool. It is designed to quickly clean carbon buildup and fouling from an AR bolt, bolt carrier assembly, and firing pin. One end cleans the bolt itself while the other end is designed to scrape the bolt carrier clean.
- A standard cleaning rod for cleaning the bore.
- Bore Cleaning Foam Swabs. You can use these instead of rods, jags, patches, and mops.
- Lubricating oils in aerosols or liquid forms.
- Star Chamber Cleaning Pads have a unique design that allows it to get into the hard-to-clean corners of the AR platform.
How to store your AR15 pistol when not in use
- As mentioned above, you should store your AR15 pistol in a safe when not in use. It should be unloaded and the ammunition should be locked separately from the gun. That way you can prevent any unwanted use of your AR15 pistol. Your safe should be secured to the floor or wall with the mounting hardware provided to ward off the theft of the entire safe. Most firearm safes have customizable interiors with firearms racks and/or shelves. The most common locking mechanism for safes includes electronic keypads and dial or a combination of both. Lately, some safes have fingerprint readers as well.
- If you don’t have a gun safe or don’t want to buy one, you can get a steel firearm cabinet. These cabinets have thinner walls than a safe so two people can move them easily. You should mount them permanently to a wall or floor to not let them get robbed. Cabinets can hold multiple firearms and are cheaper than safes. On the other hand, they are not usually fire-resistant.
- An AR15 gun case would be the next choice for storage. As we saw above, there are multiple varieties of those for an affordable price as well. They provide minimum safety and no theft protection compared to a steel cabinet or safe though. Firearm cases should be used only for short-term storage such as at a shooting range or while hunting, not for the long-term. Never put your AR15 pistol into a case while it is still warm from shooting. Moisture can condense on the material surrounding the firearm, causing rust.
- One option for additional security for your AR15 pistol is a trigger lock. It protects the gun from getting fired and should be added to the above-mentioned types of storage
Tips on transporting your AR15 pistol
There are state-specific and federal laws covering how AR15 pistols can be transported in a car. Generally, the gun has to be:
- In a closed case or box,
- In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle,
- In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose.
If it is a long gun the person may also transport or have the long gun in a motor vehicle if it is:
- in plain sight with the action open or the long gun stripped,
- if the long gun is of the type that the action will not stay open and it cannot be easily stripped then just kept in plain sight.
Always check your local state laws before hitting the road with your AR15 pistol.
If you are planning to fly with your AR15 pistol, you need to comply with the laws of the countries through which and to which you are traveling. Usually, the gun has to be:
- Locked in a hard-sided case/container,
- transported in checked baggage only, and
- declared each time you present checked baggage.
Ammunition has to be packed separately or in the original package if it will be included in the same hard case. Also, remember that your hard case is checked luggage and is subject to a weight limit.
There are multiple options when it comes to AR15 pistol cases, some are better than the others, some are cheaper. All the above-reviewed cases are of good to high quality. They all are padded and have some kind of handle. All have extra magazine pouches. Choosing the best one for you will depend on what kind of case you would work the best for you.
- If you travel a lot with your AR15 pistol and want to keep it discreet then choose one of these:
- If a lightweight compact case is what you are looking for then one of these would work:
- For good carrying handles and shoulder straps pick one of these:
- For cool design and “rockstar” attention you need to have one of these:
- If you want to be able to wheel your AR15 pistol around then the Savior is your choice.
- If the price tag is the most important thing to consider then go for:
As always have fun, practice as much as possible and we wish you safe shooting!