Episode 3 of the Springfield Armory video series, Dry Fire Friday: Pistol Manipulation.
Today’s drill gets you back to basics: how precise is your initial grip from a tabletop position?
Dry Fire Drill: Pistol Manipulation
Drill Focus: Practice Grip
Drill Level: Beginner
Drill Comments: Calling all new shooting students – here’s a beginner drill that’s a great follow-up to your beginner safety and technique classes. Basic manipulation is meant for those new gun owners who likely don’t have a holster just yet – or for those wanting to refresh their pick-up grip technique. Make sure your gun is unloaded, nothing in the chamber and no magazine, and get cracking with a high-quality grip and follow-through.
Do your homework – practice the above drill to perfect your pick-up grip.
Dry-Fire Safety Rules
1. Ensure the gun is unloaded, remove the magazine, retract the slide and check that there is no round in the chamber
2. If practicing with magazines, unload all rounds from magazines
3. Remove all ammunition/loaded magazines from the area
4. Find a safe area/direction to practice
5. Remove all distractions – phones, family members, pets, etc.
6. Double-check that the gun is unloaded any time you do have a distraction or interruption
About Dry Fire Friday
All of the drills will be with an unloaded gun and no ammunition, which is what dry fire means, so you will never have to leave home to practice!
Read more on the Springfield Armory® Blog