At a Glance: The Best Glocks For Home Defense In 2020
Comparison of The Best Glocks For Home Defense In 2020
Our Top Pick
|Glock G19 Gen 5 9MM||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Glock G17 Gen 5 MOS 9MM||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Glock G45 Gen 5 9MM||View Latest Price|
Glock has been an industry leader in self-defense and tactical weapons for many years now. Glocks are the most sought after weapons for concealed carry as well as personal and home defense.
Glock has produced over 50 pistols in a variety of sizes, calibers, and styles. For this reason, choosing your Glock pistol can feel overwhelming and confusing.
In this article, we will break down the most popular models and caliber options available and explain what it is that makes Glocks so effective.
Our guide to the 6 best Glocks for home defense
To save you from spending hours scouring the internet researching all 50 Glock models, we’ve taken the 6 most popular Glocks that have been rated the highest for home defense purposes.
We have tested and reviewed each model ourselves to give you trustworthy and reliable information. For each model, you will also find a list of pros and cons, for a quick and simple way to compare the options.
Glock G19 Gen 5 9MM
The G19 Generation 5 boasts some impressive enhancements from the Gen 4. The most notable improvement is the marksman barrel with enhanced polygonal rifling. This delivers a better gas seal and less fouling.
The Gen 5 preserves the reversible magazine catch of the Gen 4, but the difference is it incorporates a truly ambidextrous one-piece slide lock. This upgrade makes the Gen 5 a top choice for lefties.
Furthermore, both the magazine and mag well have been rebuilt. The magazine now features an orange follower to help you better identify empties, as well as an extended lip for improved grip and easy magazine extraction. The mag well has been flared for faster and easier reloads by removing the finger grooves. The new straight-grip design fits all hands.
The G19 Gen 5 has been finished with a tough DLC coating for more durable corrosion and scratch resistance. If the gun doesn’t fit your hand, you can simply change out the back straps to make the grip larger or smaller. This model’s long grip also allows you to control the recoil with ease.
If you have previously used the Gen 4, you will find the Gen 5 maintains all the great benefits of the previous version but feels more shooter-friendly now. The Glock 19 Gen 5 boasts impressive accuracy for an affordable price which is why many shooters believe it to be the best Glock for home defense.
- Great for accuracy
- More shooter friendly than previous versions
- Ambidextrous use
- A tighter gas seal and less fouling
- Long grip for recoil control
- Adjustable hand grip
Glock G17 Gen 5 MOS 9MM
The Glock G17 Gen 5 MOS provides an improved trigger pull and removes the finger grooves found on the Gen 4 model. It also boasts a few new additions. One of these is a slide cut just forward of the rear sight dovetail that accepts several attachment plates. The plates are different sizes to fit many of today’s popular reflex-style optics. What’s more, the Gen 5 includes forward slide serrations in addition to the serrations found at the rear.
The Glock 17 has a longer than average barrel at 4.48 inches. This results in greater accuracy for short, mid, and long ranges. At the same time, the barrel isn’t too long that it feels difficult to handle.
What I like about this model is how versatile it is. It is used for law enforcement, military, self-defense, and competition shooting. This is one Glock that can do it all. However, I feel it’s most ideal for self-defense situations.
Because of its impressive seventeen round magazine, there is no worry about running out of ammunition in an emergency. If you want a battle-tested, reliable weapon for keeping you and your family safe, the G17 Gen 5 is, without doubt, the best Glock for home defense.
- Perfect home defense weapon
- Fits a seventeen round magazine
- Improved trigger pull
- Accepts many attachment plates
- Long barrel for better accuracy
Glock G45 Gen 5 9MM
The Glock G45 was created following on the success of the G19X platform, combining many features consumers requested. The enhanced Gen 5 model boasts improved ergonomics due to the finger grooves being removed and interchangeable backstraps being added.
The G45 Gen 5 features a compact slide on the top of the full-size frame. The full grip makes it easy to grab the gun from a carry position, thus enhancing your control. The shorter slide also allows you to draw the gun faster with less slide to clear a holster.
Additionally, the shorter sight radius helps you to start and stop on target while the muzzle end of the slide allows a smoother draw and snagless reholstering. Moreover, this model has 3-dot white fixed sights, and the capacity to hold 17-round magazines.
This is a suitable model for left-handed shooters as it features an ambidextrous slide stop lever and reversible magazine catch. The G45 semi-auto pistol features the much-loved simplicity and reliability of Glock products making this model a favored firearm for law enforcement, military, and civilian use.
- Impressive ergonomics
- Easy and quick to grab thanks to compact slide and full-size frame
- Gives a smooth draw and snagless reholstering
- Ambidextrous use
- Not the best model for concealed carrying
Glock 19C Gen 4 9MM
The Glock 19C Generation 4 model was created to deliver improved control in both recoil and muzzle rise. The C-pattern gun has been built with ported barrels to redirect muzzle gases, meaning better recoil management.
Then Gen 4 contains the same features and components of the older Glock 19s, including the 4-inch barrel and proven striker-fired Safe Action system. One main difference though is that the barrel and slide have been machined with parallel ports. This design keeps the muzzle pointed downrange to reduce the felt-recoil and follow-up shots.
Like all the models in the Gen 4 family, the 19C has a dual recoil spring assembly and interchangeable backstraps for customizing your grip. The 19C accepts 15 round magazines.
Overall, this Glock offers impressive firepower and allows you to shoot quickly and accurately. It is ideal for a more versatile role due to its reduced dimensions and will suit both left and right-handed shooters thanks to the reversible magazine catch.
- Top choice for power, speed, and accuracy
- Customizable grip
- Reduced recoil and muzzle rise
- Ambidextrous use
Glock G22 4.49-inch 40 S&W Gas Nitride
The Glock G22 is a standard .40 caliber 15-round pistol that’s favored by police forces in the United States and around the world. Glock was the first manufacturer to make this popular and effective round accessible to law enforcement agencies.
As one of the largest models on the list, the G22 holds more rounds for its size and weight than most other full-sized handguns. Like most Glocks, this model features a modular backstrap design and the Safe Action system which consists of 3 independent, automatic safeties to prevent unintentional firing.
The pistol is constructed with a cold hammer-forged barrel with a Nitration finishing process. It has a reinforced polymer frame with Gen4 rough-textured technology for a good hand grip. Moreover, the magazine has a reversible, enlarged catch that can be changed quickly.
This is one of the best Glocks for home defense as it boasts supreme accuracy and reliability. However, it’s not the most compact model, therefore, is not the best pistol for concealment purposes. As a 40 S&W, I did find the recoil slightly harder to control on this gun compared to the others.
- Ability to hold more rounds
- Tough and durable construction
- Top option for accuracy and reliability
- Reversible magazine catch for quick reloads
- Not the best for concealment purposes
- Harder to control recoil
Agency Arms Glock G19 urban threaded 9mm
The Agency Arms Glock G19 urban combat complete pistol includes a full work-up on the slide, frame, and trigger. This edition houses the lightest slide in the Agency Arms pistol family and has been specifically designed to give ideal weight and optimal balance.
The lightweight, customizable slide features rear serrations, three windows, agency battle plate, and front serrations. The G19 urban also possesses a largely improved trigger with polished surfaces and a tuned trigger shoe. This gives a pleasing trigger pull as well as faster follow up shots and tighter groups.
The frame of this G19 edition has been tailored and optimized with accelerator cuts, a relieved trigger guard, and a comfortable grip texture. The G19 urban will fit 15 round magazines and comes with two rounds included.
This unique Glock is one of the most expensive models on the market so it’s not for everyone. That being said, if you’re after a top of the range pistol with the best trigger and slide, the G19 urban combat will be a satisfying choice.
- Has a superlight and customizable slide
- An improved trigger for better pull
- Optimized frame
- Gives ideal weight and optimal balance
Why Glocks are so effective
Glocks are effective for many reasons. Most users like the ruggedness and reliability of Glock pistols. Other than this, they are very light. Their lightness is what makes them more accurate and effective than other pistols.
- The Glock is made in a plastic mold rather than being assembled from steel which is what makes it so light.
- This lightness gives shooters more accuracy in their shooting. Many traditional revolvers feature a 12-pound trigger pull, whereas the trigger pull of Glocks is only slightly more than 5 pounds. That means that amateur shooters will find their shots to be more accurate and effective when using a Glock.
- Because the plastic is thin, the gun also has a larger capacity.
- The Glock is extremely durable and does not require much maintenance. It will continue to function well even if it’s not cleaned properly or regularly.
- Glocks also have many fewer parts than other handguns, sometimes about half the amount. Because there are fewer parts it means there are fewer parts that could potentially break.
Overall, Glock pistols are so popular because they are simple to use and they work well. They are sturdy, light, and cheap, making them an ideal choice for many shooters. They also have a good magazine capacity and are easy to handle without needing much control. Even new shooters can use them without any problems as you simply just point and pull the trigger.
What caliber should you choose
Glock manufactures a full line of pistols in every major caliber, which can make it difficult and confusing for shooters to know which one to choose. If you’re looking for the best Glock for home defense, caliber is an important consideration. Here are the three most popular Glock calibers for home defense guns.
- This caliber is widely used around the world as it is the cheapest and easiest to find. On average you will pay around 20 cents for a 9mm FMJ and 40 cents (double the price) for a .45 ACP round.
- It’s one of the oldest rounds that has stood the test of time, delivering reliable performance for law enforcement and the military.
- It’s very small and light which means it has mild recoil and high capacity.
- The 9mm is known for giving a consistent performance in self-defense situations, but it’s equally popular for target and competition shooting too
- It gives users a strong balance between power and manageable recoil.
- 40 S&W is more powerful than 9mm.
- It’s still very easy to find in the USA but is not so readily available in the rest of the world.
- It gives higher muzzle energy than the 9mm.
- 40 S&W rounds, however, can cause excessive wear on pistols and are harder to control.
- It is larger and heavier than the 9mm. This means it is slower in velocity. It gives more felt recoil and a slightly higher recoil velocity too.
- The 40 S&W makes a good defensive cartridge because it gives the perfect balance of penetration, accuracy, and portability.
- 10mm is the most powerful but is much harder to find, and therefore, more expensive too.
- It has the most incredible range and is faster than both the 9mm and 40 S&W.
- The 40 S&W uses a small pistol primer, while the 10mm uses a large one. The larger and faster 10mm will give 624 foot-pounds of muzzle energy when sending a 180-grain bullet at 1,250 fps, while the 40 S&W gives a lower muzzle energy of 400 foot-pounds with 1,000 fps velocity.
- The 10mm also makes a smart caliber for hunting as it delivers enough energy to take down deer, hogs and black bears.
When deciding on your caliber, remember that all pistol models from Glock offer the same features and advantages. Regardless of the caliber size, there will be little difference in terms of handling and maintaining your pistol.
Summary – Which Glock is the best for home defense?
Choosing a Glock is a very personal choice however, certain Glocks are better suited for home defense purposes than others. All 6 models on this list have been chosen as the top Glocks for this purpose. Therefore, whichever one stands out to you the most is sure to be a good bet.
Even so, in my opinion, the best Glock for home defense is the Glock G17 Gen 5. There are a few reasons I have chosen this model. The barrel size gives a perfect balance between accuracy and ease of use, allowing accurate shots to be fired from all ranges.
The trigger pull is amazing and the pistol gives perhaps the most reliable performance out of all the options. Furthermore, I feel this model is best suited as a home defense weapon but can be also used for multiple purposes. This allows shooters to practice target shooting or other styles with this firearm.
From reading this guide you’ll now have deeper clarity in choosing your home defense weapon. No matter which Glock pistol you go for, rest assured that it will deliver the safety, reliability, and simple operation that Glock promises.