At a Glance: Best AR-15 Folding Stocks
- OUR TOP PICK: Magpul AR-15 CTR Stock Collapsible Mil-Spec
- RUNNER UP: Magpul AR-15 Moe Stock Collapsible Mil-spec W-Folding Stock Adapter
- BEST OVERALL: B5 Systems AR-15 Enhanced Sopmod Stock
Comparison of The Best AR15 Folding Stocks and Adapters
Our Top Pick
|Magpul AR-15 CTR Stock Collapsible Mil-Spec||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Magpul AR-15 Moe Stock Collapsible Mil-spec W-Folding Stock Adapter||
||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|B5 Systems AR-15 Enhanced Sopmod Stock||
||View Latest Price|
At a glance, a folding stock or collapsible stock is one that is not fixed permanently and does not remain static, when referring to the length thereof. One of the many intended uses of a folding AR-15 stock is to enable the shooter to alter the length of pull. An important consideration to bear in mind is that all folding stocks are collapsible in nature, but not all collapsible stocks can fold.
Our Guide to 6 of the Best Folding Stocks on the Market Today
Before any new purchase, it is advisable to do your homework to ensure that you know all the options on the market, their advantages and drawbacks.
This way, you’ll be armed with sufficient knowledge to make an informed decision.
Magpul AR-15 CTR Stock Collapsible Mil-Spec
The Magpul CTR is a Mil-Spec drop-in replacement buttstock for AR15 / M16 carbines. This collapsible, polymer-based folding stock comes available for purchase in a beautiful O.D. Green, Dark Earth, Gray and Black. Accepts a variety of ambidextrous sling attachments and Fits buffer tubes that accept both four- and six-pos
This Compound/Type-restricted folding stock is compatible with AR10, AR15, M4, M16, M110, SR25. It was created to be ready for fast-paced action, and the aerodynamic A-line frame protects the release hatch from accidental firing. With the rifle taking on a more condensed form, it will decrease any risk of snagging on clothes or other obstacles the shooter may encounter.
The incline in the cheek weld provides the shooter with increased stability and comes in two variants: the Mil-Spec and Commercial-Spec. The commercial-spec model’s selling point is that it comes with an expanded rubber butt-pad half an inch thick.
That is a popular choice, and such stocks often sell out as quickly as the inventory comes in. When using this product with the Law Tactical Gen 3-M Folding Stock Adapter, you will have a portable weapon at your fingertips with features such as adjustable hinge tension. Buffer tube, carbine buffer, receiver extension nut, and carbine-length action spring not included.
- Auxiliary friction lock presents a decrease in wobbling.
- Lock spring made from a durable chrome-silicon provides longevity.
- Snug fit with color-matching options available.
- Well balanced and durable.
- Accepts a variety of ambidextrous sling attachments
- Installing the stock is not an easy feat. We recommend having another pair of hands-on standby to assist with the process of installing.
Magpul AR-15 Moe Stock Collapsible Mil-spec W-Folding Stock Adapter
This product oozes all of the quality expected of Magpul’s original equipment; you will not be disappointed.
It presents all of the great features that the CTR Folding Stock offers, except that the MOE is the more affordable option.
This folding stock serves as the perfect replacement for all standard factory issued M4 stocks.
As such, it comes with a standard 3.0″ rubber butt-pad that prevents slippage, even when full tactical gear is in play.
Molded from a reinforced polymer material, it is durable and functional for its intended purpose. All of this is available in an array of colors to match your kit.
It is made by forging a rugged A-line frame that is light, super comfy, and offers the operator ample bolstering. This folding stock’s contour is more spread out than a standard issued M4 stock, aiding the operator with a more stable and rigid cheek weld.
The sleek outside surface and protected release lever act as barriers against snagging of any kind. A concentrated spring-release lever offers speedy length-of-pull modifications without leaving uncomfortable impressions on your hand.
This unit presents many different sling options such as two slots for web slings and a hole for a toe-mounted sling swivel, or a suitable clip-on sling version thereof. It’s seven and a quarter inches in overall length and five and a quarter inches in height. The Mil-spec version fits 1.14″ O.D carbine buffer tubes.
Overall, this is an excellent product in terms of its cost-effectiveness. However, the wobbliness it might present can make it off-putting to some.
- Easy to install
- Value for money
- Excellent quality
- The buffer tube is not included and has to be purchased separately.
- A bit of wobble is expected for this stock.
B5 Systems AR-15 Enhanced Sopmod Stock Collapsible Mil-Spec
This product received an outstanding overall rating from its users. It was designed to play an integral part in navy SEALS operations. That’s why it has features like watertight battery compartments. This product provides an excellent cheek weld and is slightly longer than the average, making it ideal, even when it is in a fully collapsed state.
Operators say that this folding stock does not wobble but is still easy to collapse. This folding stock comes highly recommended for any position in which the operator might find themselves having to fire off a round or two, whether it be standing position or prone.
The butt pad lends a great deal of comfortability to the operator, even at a 90-degree angle. It is fully capable of holding its position while being fired.
This unit is forged from a durable polymer material and is fully collapsible. The manufacturers have taken the generic design of the SOPMOD buttstock and revolutionized it to match Special Forces Operators’ and other military professionals’ needs.
The sling swivel mount is easy to use, whether the operator is left- or right-handed, and is easily disconnected. Color matching options are available, and it comes with rugged mil-spec materials and finishes, making this a well rounded and sought after product.
- This folding stock won’t pull out any beard hairs
- Stainless steel QD swivel mount
- Two waterproof storage chambers
- Functional look and feel
- SOPMOD approved
- Storage compartments are not easily accessible
- Not cheap
B5 Systems AR-15 Sopmod Bravo Stock Collapsible W/Folding Stock Adapter
This is an award-winning combination, the Law Tactical Gen 3-M Folding Stock Adapter paired with the B5 Systems Bravo SOPMOD AR-15 stock. Law Tactical proudly boasts of being the preferred stock adapter for the special ops teams, and it is easy to see why. This is another product in the proud line of quality stocks produced by B5 Systems. We found it to be best for practice on the range and home and tactical defense.
We found the cheek weld to be a perfect fit, whereas most other stocks might be described as either thin or too wide. This is a very competitive option.
This product is commonly used and preferred among professional shooters. The tight lockup and fit on the buffer tube are perfectly suited to its purpose, yet it is light in weight. The folding stock is aesthetically pleasing. The QD points located on both sides work well. The stock is very solid, so it is suitable for hard use in extreme conditions.
The fluid design on this stock acts as protection against snagging, and the latch provides a fast length-of-pull adjustment when required.
We can recommend this stock as the logical choice for any individual wanting to upgrade their AR-15.
- Good cheek weld
- Durable product
- Quality guaranteed at an affordable price
- Slight wobbling, might not be suitable for every operator
Law Tactical AR-15 Gen-3 Folding Stock Adapter W/M4 Stock Assembly
The steel adapter from Law Tactical allows the installation of a folding stock on any AR-15 rifle. It makes the weapon’s profile smaller so that the operator can move with ease from one environment to the next. The adjustable hinge tension gives you the choice of how stiff you prefer the folding mechanism and comes with a quality guarantee.
The demand from shooters has been so great that Law Tactical had to increase their supply to deliver inventory in a more efficient and timely manner, which has been great for their sales figures. Note that this is the only foldable stock adapter that is compatible with AR platform rifles. The use thereof is as easy as unfolding and firing, making it a very user-friendly product for shooters and operators of all experience levels.
One of the drawbacks we experienced in that its hardened steel is heavy, but on the flip side, this will be the most durable part of your rifle and worth the purchase.
It even comes with a special bolt carrier extension that requires no tools whatsoever for installation purposes and can be removed just as quickly.
Just looking for the adapter?
- Snug fit with little to no play
- Pull adjustment is suitable for operators of different sizes
- Can resist impact and other harsh conditions
- Only one single point sling attachment is included
LWRC International AR-15 Gen-3 Folding Stock Adapter W/Ultra Compact Stock
Deemed one of the best options on the market if you would like to shorten your rifle’s overall length. The stock kit comes standard with the stock, receiver extension, the index plate, buffer, recoil spring, and the castle nut.
The mil-spec version of this product is collapsible. It is compatible with any mil-spec AR15 lower receiver, making it another great addition to the Law Tactical family of quality products. The system’s various components were designed to work together seamlessly.
It has an excellent performance rating, with no noticeable limitations that we can report. The fit and finish are very appealing, and the sleek design is outstanding.
The stock is light and comes with sling attachment points. We found the cheek weld to be well suited for most operators, and we could make adjustments with one hand.
LWRC has made a high-quality product that is affordable for a short stock, making it a very desirable choice.
Every operator who knows LWRC will know that they pride themselves on surpassing their customers’ expectations, and this product does not disappoint. All their products are made with only the best materials and using the most advanced engineering techniques.
- Saves a full inch in length
- Beautiful design
- Easy adjustment
- The inch that it saves might make it less appealing to some
What is an AR-15 Folding Stock?
Folding stocks are found on AR-15s and similar rifles. This stock type makes the rifle shorter, so it is easier to carry from one environment to the next and makes concealment easier.
These types of AR stocks are suitable for operators and professional shooters where the weapon needs to be drawn quickly, but where the weapon’s stability and control play an integral part in hitting the target.
Why get an AR-15 Folding Stock?
Among the many reasons to buy an AR-15 folding stock, three stand out.
With a compact version of the rifle, you will find the following to your advantage:
- Easy concealment.
- Folding stocks save a full inch of overall length.
- It is so compact that if it’s in a bag, it does not give away its presence at all.
- You want to save as much space in your gun safe as possible to let all your weapons accessories to fit.
As an operator who needs to move from one environment to the next quickly, it is in your best interest that a bulky weapon doesn’t impede your movement. The following gains await you in terms of portability:
- Being shorter, it is easier to transport than the full-length version.
- When the weapon is not in use, the stock allows it to be folded.
- A smaller bag can be used to transport the gun, instead of the traditional long case.
- Storage is more convenient, and the weapon is ready to be fired in a matter of seconds, by flicking the stock.
- A gun rack does not have to be mounted on the vehicle to transport the shortened rifle.
Alternative to AR pistols
A folding stock negates the need for an AR pistol.
- Shooting is made simpler, so you don’t have to carry an additional weapon.
- The kick from the rifle is less with a foldable stock. The only difference between an AR rifle and an AR pistol is the absence of a stock on the pistol version, so the pistol is harder to control.
- There is no real difference in size, so carrying two weapons of a similar nature is pointless.
What to Look For in the best AR-15 Folding Stock Adapter
There are a few key considerations when deciding on an AR-15 folding stock adapter:
Stocks can be made from a few different materials, each presenting its own pros and cons:
- A great all-purpose material
- All-weather resistant
- If it gets scratched, it might not look nice, even though it is durable
- It comes with DLC coating, making it resistant to corrosion
It is better to spend a few more dollars to get a foldable stock that can withstand time, hard use, and the elements. Some brand names synonymous with quality folding stocks are:
- Law Tactical
- B5 Systems
Easy to Install
Some stocks wobble. Some are easier to install than others. Again, this is a personal choice.
- Look for a “drop-in” adapter if you want the easiest option to install.
- If you are looking for a tight or snug fit, a drop-in option will give you some play or wobble, so go with a traditional option.
- If you are in the field, you want to easily snap the stock in place without worrying about carrying a tool pouch.
- Only pick a non-drop-in adapter if you can install it.
Before making any purchase, ensure that you have conducted proper research into which folding stocks are compatible with your rifle.
- Visit gun stores and ammunition stores and get a sense of the look and feel in person.
- Speak to the experts at the gun shop about your weapon and your unique requirements.
- The slight differences in the mil-spec versions vs. commercial-spec versions of folding stocks might also mean the difference between the stock being compatible or not. For example, a commercial buffer tube or receive extension won’t work with a mil-spec tube.
Is This For Real? Doesn’t the AR-15’s Buffer Tube Prevent Stocks From Folding?
Apart from FoldAR, which produces a range of folding AR rifles and pistols, aftermarket products can make your AR fold.
Enter the LAW Tactical Gen-3 Folding Stock Adapter. The alpha and omega to all of your folding stock requirements. The best feature is that it does not compromise buffer integrity at all.
The Best AR-15 Folding Stocks – Our Winner Is…
There can be only one clear winner, and that in our view this is the Law Tactical AR-15 Gen-3 Folding Stock Adapter.
It is the most versatile as it is compatible with any AR-15 rifle. Forged from quality steel, it fits both standard gas impingement and gas piston systems. It’s fully compatible with standard single bolt carriers, including full-automatic as well as the .308 AR-10.
Some other notable features to this fine specimen include:
- A DLC Coating for protection against elements that cause corrosion
- Easy to install
- Adjustable hinge tension that allows you to control the stiffness of the mechanism
- The adapter is fixed in place with a solid setscrew