At a Glance: Our Top Picks for Pistol Grips for your AR-15
Comparison of the Pistol Grips for your AR-15 or
Modern Sporting Rifle
Our Top Pick
|Magpul AR-15 MOE+ Grip||View Latest Price|
Our Top Pick
|Magpul AR-15 MOE K2+ Grip||View Latest Price|
|Bravo Company AR-15 MOD-3 Gunfighter Grip||View Latest Price|
The top pistol grips for your AR-15 or modern sporting rifle in 2020
One of the most crucial components for operating your AR15 is the pistol grip. A good grip is essential as it allows the user to comfortably and safely fire the weapon, reduces the chance of injury, and improves aim. With so many choices available, it can be tough to pick the best pistol grip for your AR15.
When it comes to the importance of a good pistol grip, Top Brass explains that not only having a quality grip but learning how to use it properly is imperative for optimal function. It reduces the chances of malfunction.
One of the first steps in preparing yourself to learn the best hand placement and how to fire your AR-15 effectively and safely is having a quality, fitting grip. There are many considerations when choosing a grip. The more you know about grips, the better informed you will be to make that decision.
We’ve sifted through all the AR-15 pistol grips on the market so you don’t have to. Here’s our list of the best of the best.
Magpul AR-15 MOE+ Grip
The MOE is a standard grip with a rubber coating. The shape of the grip is decent and very simple. There is a storage core available that can be used to hold a bolt repair kit or spare ammo. It’s a no-frill, reasonably priced grip from a reliable company.
This grip has quality construction and comfort that comes from the wrap-around rubber over-molding and ensures maximum weapon control. It will hold up and retain grip in adverse weather conditions. It is similar in shape to the medium-sized MIAD. It has a good angle that puts your wrist in a natural position.
Users have described this grip as supple, does not feel like hard plastic, and has a grippy tactile feel without being thick and squishy. The fit and finish are outstanding. It comes with instructions and all the attachment hardware. As for aesthetics, it fits great and leaves no gaps.
It has a storage compartment that may be a little difficult to and open. But that also means it won’t open inadvertently.
This MOE comes from one of the most reputable companies and is constructed with quality material. The grip is waterproof.
- Grip combines reinforced polymer with wrap-around rubber over-molding
- Beavertail backstrap provides good ergonomics
- Drop-in design has a hard bottom edge to reduce snags on equipment and grip damage
- Storage core includes a basic grip cap
- All mounting hardware included
- Users have reported that the grip is comfortable and at a good angle
- Rubber grip prevents easy of sliding fingers back to engage the safety
- Same design as the cheaper version, just coated in rubber
- Cap on compartment may be a bit difficult to reach and open
Magpul AR-15 MOE K2+ Grip
The Magpul MOE K2 is another well-designed grip that features a reinforced polymer body with comfortable wrap-around rubber over-molding. It offers a more vertical grip angle than the standard AR-15/M4 grip.
The rubber over-molding allows for reliable weapon control and the backstrap facilitates proper finger placement. Storage cores are optional.
This grip is a joy to use. The grip is angled a bit differently from other brands of grips. The grip tilts slightly more forward than the standard mil-spec model. The MOE K2 comes from a company with a great reputation and is constructed using quality materials. It will give you an aggressive, positive grip even in wet conditions.
Even standing, the angle is better than a typical MOE. It prevents your wrist bendding oddly, making your AR15 more comfortable to shoot.
- Reasonably priced
- Steeper vertical grip than standard A2 grips
- One-piece reinforced polymer construction
- Wrap-around rubber over-molding
- Hard polymer bottom edge
- Aggressive texture will retain positive grip even in moist conditions
- Storage compartment convenient and easy to access
- Mounting hardware and basic grip cap included
- Maybe too small for large hands
- Rubber over-mold reported to be too rigid and not soft enough by some users
Bravo Company AR-15 MOD-3 Gunfighter Grip
BCM is a company with a reputation for quality products. The very reasonably priced Mod 3 has a grip bulge that makes the grip fit larger hands comfortably. The grip has a very natural feel and enables a firm and positive grip.
The slightly thicker design provides a more pronounced area where the thumb and trigger finger sit when using the grip. The slightly reduced grip angle allows for a natural grip hold. The Mod 3 has an extended forward tang under the trigger guard that shortens the gap between the trigger and the grip. It may not be for everyone but for some, it smooths the transition.
The BCM Mod-3 is very popular for good reason. One of the features we like about this polymer grip is that it has a slightly different angle and is an improvement over the standard grip. The angle provides wrist comfort and ease in manipulating and loading the gun. The beavertail does an excellent job of filling the grip spaces. The ergonomic design is practical and the price is very reasonable. The quality of the polymer is evident.
The compartment is not waterproof but it is very secure. While it doesn’t have any fancy features, the simplicity is a design feature. The compartment is easy to open and will stay closed.
- Low profile length increases mobility and decreases snags
- Very reasonably priced
- Forward angle ideal for forearm rigidity and provides a more natural wrist angle
- Can be mounted in the reverse angle
- Flat sides and aggressive texture assist with yaw control
- Made in the USA with quality polymers
- Compartment is simple but easy to use and secure
- Grips are tight on the lower and may need a good push to install
- The forward tang may leave a gap between the grip and the lower
- Screw may vibrate loose without thread locker
- Compartment is not waterproof
Hogue AR-15 Pistol Grip
This Hogue is constructed with sturdy fiberglass and over-molded with soft rubber. Hogue is famous for durability, comfort, and a secure grip. It comes with a cobblestone finish, dual palm swells, and finger grooves.
This grip has a good, tight fit to the lower receiver. It’s reasonably priced. It fits well even in large hands. The texture is soft yet provides a firm enough grip to prevent slippage. The installation process is usually smooth and simple.
Users report that some of the features they like are the built-in finger grooves and the little nub to fill the gap where your trigger guard would be on the back. The beavertail helps make the grip firm and comfortable. The pebble texture is ideal. The grip core is good for storing small items.
- Sturdy fiberglass construction
- Overmolded soft rubber
- Cobblestone finish for superior grip
- Finger groves conform nicely to the hand
- Palm swells help the hand mold to the grip
- Easy to install
- Good price and fast shipping
- Available in several color choices
- Does not come with grip screw, mounting hardware not included
FAB Defense Rubberized Pistol Grip
The FAB Defense grip is the latest addition to the multi-textured rubberized pistol grips. The state-of-the-art design allows superior contour over its predecessors. It’s extremely comfortable and provides ventilation in extremely hot or moist conditions.
The excellent ergonomics make this grip fit the hand nicely. The high-quality materials make this a durable grip that looks good and feels great.
Users with large hands are recommending the FAB Defense grip. This grip is much more comfortable than the standard and the finger grooves fit very naturally. FAB allows for a more confident grip on the AR pistol.
People are happy with the construction, ergonomics, and quality materials. The top of the grip tapers thinner upwards.
While the added storage compartment is a bonus to most, some may find that it is difficult to open. The hole on the back of the grip has a latch that needs to be pushed down to open, and some people with larger fingers have a slight problem with this. Overall, the rubber overlay offers a superior grip.
- Reinforced polymer composite
- Multi-textured rubber over-mold with a superior coating
- Aggressively textured, alligator pattern in front and moon surface texture on the sides
- Finger grooves create a natural feel and excellent grip
- Backstrap and extended beavertail for better control, higher hold
- Storage area with a sealed hinged door
- Available in 4 colors
- Outstanding quality and construction
- Great for large hands
- Doesn’t come with mounting screw
- Top of the grip is a bit thin which exaggerates the feel of the angle
- Not ideal for smaller hands
Ergo Grip AR15/M16 Tactical Deluxe
This Ergo Grip is a bit pricier than other grips on this list, but the ratings for this product are excellent. An improvement on the original Ergo Grip, the design is larger and more rounded. This pistol grip is ambidextrous with the palm swells located on both sides of the grip.
The Ergo has ergonomically designed finger grooves and heavy texturing which provides outstanding gripping power. It stays grippy in cold and wet conditions It nicely fits medium and large hands. Quality design helps reduce muscle fatigue and enhances gun control.
The Deluxe Tactical grip has a better texture than the original. Those of us with larger hands love this grip. The Tactical is quite thick and when held, it conforms to your hand very well. It places your finger in the perfect position on the trigger.
There is no cap included with the grip but you can purchase one to fit. The installation process is simple. The aggressive texture keeps it from slipping when your hands get wet or sweaty.
- Fits AR15s and AR10s
- SureGrip over-molded rubber provides a positive grip
- Aggressive texture and ergonomically designed
- Finger grooves for a sure grip in cold and wet weather
- Integrated upper extension supports the hand web
- Ambidextrous palm swells
- Enhanced weapon control helps prevent fatigue
- Includes installation hardware
- Reported to be a bit bulky by some users
- Colors may be a bit off from those advertised
MFT Engage AR15/M16 Pistol Grip
The MFT Engage grip is designed to give you an advantage in a combat situation by providing a combination of fit, function, and form. This grip is a great upgrade over a standard mil-spec pistol grip. The Engage Grip relieves any discomfort by covering any gaps between the grip and your hand.
The quality and build of this AR15 pistol grip are incredible. The non-slip grip and finger swells make this grip secure and comfortable. The grooved backstrap provides ultimate grip and handling. This affordable, well-designed grip is made with a high-quality polymer that will hold up in the toughest conditions.
The aggressive texture provides a positive grip even in wet conditions or when wearing gloves. It comes from a reputable company and is made in the USA. The Engage has an aesthetically pleasing look and is a much better grip than the standard mil-spec one. It fits large hands well and has a very high-end feel.
The finger grips and palm swells provide a comfortable and natural-feeling hold. The military-grade plastic polymer is not as soft as other materials but it is an outstanding grip for the price.
- Designed to fit M16/M4/AR-15/HK416
- Covers any gaps that may cause discomfort from sustained use
- Finger swells make for a comfortable and tight fit
- Grooved backstrap provides the best non-slip grip
- Offers positive support and control for single-hand operation
- Waterproof storage compartment
- Plug retention
- Foam storage compartment with quick access for no rattle sounds
- Textured grip is impervious to oils and solvents
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Complaints about the lid on the storage compartment
- Does not come with mounting screw
- May not be suitable for small hands
Samson Field Survivor 1 & OD Green Hogue Grip Package
- Wire brush for bore cleaning
- Broken shell extractor
- Oil for one field lube
- Cable that pulls the brush through the bore
- Carbon scraping tool
- Feed lip gauge and adjustment tool
- Flat blade screwdriver
- Gas key cleaning tool
- Cotter pin hook
- Strike plate
- Sight adjustment tool
- Magazine feed lip gauge
- Has no texturing for grip retention in wet conditions
- Because it is rather new, it hasn’t established a reputation
What is An AR-15 Pistol Grip?
As the AR-15 rose in popularity, manufacturers began offering aftermarket components like innovative pistol grips. The new styles of grips contributed greatly to the popularity of the AR-15. With better ergonomics, the customized features like finger grooves, palm swells, and new angles, people found their AR-15s to be more accurate and easier to control when fired.
The AR-15 is now touted as the leading option for self-defense, hunting, and home protection. Many manufacturers now offer multiple options for inexpensive but good quality pistol grips to fit every size hand and personal preference, contributing to the popularity of this weapon. The hardest decision now is which one to choose.
Important Features for Choosing the Best AR15 Pistol Grip
You might be wondering how to tackle the important decision of deciding on a grip for your AR-15. AT3 Tactical offers some help with this decision by listing the 5 most important considerations when it’s time to choose your AR-15 grip. They point out that the right grip gives you the most control over your gun. A comfortable grip is a key to ultimate performance when firing your gun.
Here are five considerations for purchasing a pistol grip for your AR-15.
- Pick the correct orientation. There are right-handed, left-handed, and ambidextrous options. The grip should fit your dominant hand perfectly. Ambidextrous grips are the most common but one orientation will fit more closely than the other. If you plan to do tactical shootitng switching between hands, you might want to consider an ambidextrous orientated grip.
- Choosing your grip material is another important consideration. You need to factor in comfort, weight, and durability. Everyone will have a different response to the feel and comfort of each material. You need to decide for yourself what feels the best. Rubber-coated grips are very popular and provide a little more substance than some other materials like bare polymer.
- There are variations within each grip design like the finger grooves and contours. The best grips will contour to your fingers and increase the strength of your hold. Most of the grips are universal and will work with either hand. The bottom line on finger grooves and contours is that they provide you with a firmer hold.
- For those that use their AR-15 for long-range shooting or work with a bipod, a palm shelf assists with relaxing the grip for better shots. The palm shelf also helps keep a steady trigger as it adds more weight and serves as a recoil damper. This makes setting up for your next shot quicker and more easily.
- If you have a bit of equipment that you need to tuck away but keep near at hand, consider an AR15 pistol grip that has a built-in storage compartment. This type of grip can be useful for holding tools, optic batteries, or survival items.
Picking the Best AR-15 Grip for Your Pistol
When it comes to picking the grip for your pistol, Mountain Solutions Plus suggests that the final decision will come down to feel and personal taste. They emphasize that you should stick with a reliable brand. Be sure to read the reviews before making your purchase.
There are some factors to keep in mind when making your choice. With any pistol grip, the main importance is that the grip allows you to fire your weapon in a way that is stable and safe. Since there are so many grip options now available, it’s important to understand the many features and the differences in materials and angles. Each of these factors will make a difference in firearm handling as every person has different requirements for size and features.
Ar15 pistol grip factors to consider:
- Should be rugged and comfortable enough to use in any situation
- Find a grip that best matches your intended use
- Right angle and size
- Has perfect finger-to-trigger positioning
- Constructed of quality material
- Consider a rubberized finish vs hard finish
- Aggressive texture
- Palm swells
- Finger grooves
One feature you might want to focus on is a grip angle. Getting it right allows for better posture when firing. Your hand and wrist should be placed at a natural angle which some of the standard grip angles may not offer.
The advantage of the rubberized finish and aggressive texture is that these features assist in managing the firearm better over long periods. In wet and high moisture environments, these grip features will help prevent your hold on the gun from slipping.
When considering finger grooves and palm swells, remember that they come in different sizes and layouts. Try several different types to find the one that fits your hand the best.
What are the benefits of upgrading your AR-15 grip?
Practical Defensive Training states that upgrading a pistol grip is one of the most outstanding improvements you can make on an AR-15. Many come with a standard Magpul grip which may be too shallow and may force the wrist to be positioned with a less than optimal grip or at an uncomfortable angle.
You can change your pistol grip easily and inexpensively. You will go from a less-than-optimal grip to one that will improve performance and decrease fatigue while shooting. With a new grip, the angle will allow your wrist to remain in a more neutral position. The benefit of this is that it will relieve the strain of bending your wrist in an uncomfortable position.
What to look for in the best AR-15 pistol grip
Finding accessories for an AR-15 in an everchanging market is bewildering as upgrades and new designs are constantly being introduced. Stay with a brand you know and trust. Here are a few features you might want to consider when looking to purchase your new grip.
- Durable polymers or reinforced fiberglass for durability in even the most rugged conditions
- Extra back and front width and different sizes to match your hand size
- A finger shelf
- A removable inner core with space for something like a bottle of lube is always handy
- Storage for extra batteries, etc.
- Mounting hardware should come included
- A core plug
- A grip that allows a reduced grip angle and has good ergonomics
Other things to consider regarding AR15 pistol grips
A vertical foregrip helps with the maneuverability of an AR15. The natural angle of a person’s hand when outstretched is designed better to grasp an object in the vertical position rather than one that is perpendicular.
Like AR15 pistol grips, vertical foregrips may offer small storage areas inside their inner diameter. They can also provide a mount for a tactical light and control switches that are molded into the grip assembly. Some designs feature a bottom thread and O-ring to make the storage compartment waterproof.
A word of caution, installing a forward pistol grip may change the status of your firearm. It may be considered an NFA-restricted “Any Other Weapon” which requires a tax stamp.
The rule on this is: if your weapon measures less than 26 inches from the back of the buffer tube to the muzzle (a muzzle device is not included unless it’s permanently attached) then attaching the vertical grip classifies it as a restricted firearm. If it’s more than 26 inches, it is not a configuration regulated by NFA and is still legally a title 1 firearm. Put simply, if you have an overall length of 26 inches, you may attack a vertical grip.
Keep in mind that some state laws forbid adding a vertical foregrip. Check your state laws before adding one.
AR15 Pistol Grip Sizes
There are two ways to look at a pistol grip, technical and subjective. Let’s take a look at the technical side first.
- Come in high on the backstrap and take a firm but unstrained grip
- Stack your three bottom fingers underneath the trigger guard
- Relax your thumb and keep your hand wrapped firmly on the grip
- Your three fingers should not be touching the palm of your hand
- You get good leverage when your finger is on the trigger
- You can move and control the trigger easily and effectively
If all the technical features pan out, more importantly, does the grip fit you from a comfort standpoint? Like shoes, you may have multiple pairs that fit but one pair feels the most comfortable, the same is true with grips. You may have several that fit, but try multiple styles if you have the option and see which one feels the best
AR15 Pistol Grip Storage Compartments
Shooting Illustrated tells the story of how one of the tricks that people learned when in the field was to fill every possible nook and cranny with things that you may need, especially in an emergency.
Paratroopers from back in the day would jam tobacco into the buttstocks of the M16s. At the time, no aftermarket products were available with trapdoor spaces to carry extra items or supplies. Spare batteries had to be taped into the space in a pistol grip.
Fortunately, there are now dozens of AR15 pistol grip models with compartments designed for storage. They range widely in function and design. Some models are less efficient in holding items. They may pop open if heavier items are placed inside and there is any recoil.
Other models of grips have been designed that use a snap or wedge to hold the contents of the compartment safely and securely. You can now carry many types of useful items in the storage compartment of your pistol grip. Some of the commonly stored items include:
- Spare earplugs
- DEET soaked wet wipes
- Brushes and oil bottle for anti-corrosion wipe-down
- Spare batteries for optics
- Extra extractor
- Extractor pins
- Firing pins
- Spare ammo
- Any item you feel is essential to the maintenance of your pistol
Whatever you decide to put into your grip, either choose a grip that has padding included or pad the items to keep them from rattling around. Some grips come with O-rings and are waterproof, others are not. If the grip with a storage compartment you choose is not water-resistant, use a small zip-lock bag to keep your items dry.
Some AR15 pistol grips on the market come with a field tool. These can have up to around 14 useful applications and stow in the handle of the grip. One of these models is included in a review below.
Since there are several types of mechanisms used to latch the storage compartments closed, they offer different levels of security. You may have a grip that is better designed for comfort than compartment security. In this case, use some duct tape for a little insurance.
In case you are wondering, approximately 8 bite-sized Tootsie Rolls will fit in the grip of your AR-15 pistol grip.
If you are looking for a reliable, well tested, and highly rated AR-15 pistol grip, The Ergo Grip is the clear winner. While it might be a bit more expensive than other grips, this pistol grip has all the best features.
Ergo Grip has everything you need in a quality grip. It’s ambidextrous and has palm swells located on both sides of the grip. It’s finger grooves and heavy texturing are a great feature as is its ergonomic design. Count on this grip to stay firm in hot and wet conditions. The quality materials and design make the Ergo Grip the best pistol grip for your AR15.
The Ergo Grip was designed to fit the hand with no gaps. The angle allows the wrist to be held in a comfortable and natural position to increase shooting accuracy and prevents fatigue. Users are happy with the quality of the materials and the natural feel of the grip.
Ergo is a reputable company that has produced many quality grips. They have excellent customer service to process orders. Their products are backed by a Lifetime Guarantee. For those with medium to large hands, the Ergo grip is an outstanding choice.
No matter which grip you go with, make sure you get it installed right and get a good feel for it before taking it into a situation where you will be depending on it. Have fun, shoot safe and check back for more great info and reviews on firearm products.